First service - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

First service

I have a 2013 street glide. When we bought it we prepaid for first service,almost $300.00 . Bike has had a noise since we picked it up. It now has 1350 miles on it,been back at dealer for noise 3 times. They lowered it for us as well. Well noise has gotten worse,so today 40 degrees,I ride it in to dealer. After couple hours they tell me they think it needs steering head bearings adjusted. Really !!!! Why wasn't it done at 1k service? Told me its an extra charge. Told them they said after test ride they couldnt hear anything,and signed paper all is GOOD. Well is this correct? Wouldn't it being new mean the steering head bearings should be ok? Why should I pay extra to have this work done ?
Thanks,
glide rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

They adjusted my clutch and tightened my head bearing nut at 1000 On my 2012 street glide for nothing. But they didn't change the primary or trans fluid. douche nozzles! I do my own work now except warranty work. I don't trust the dealers at all. None of them.
thefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree,it wasn't until service manager said the guy has a habit of skipping over a few things did I feel it was their fault. I plan on doing all service,was told it be better if they did first service.but from now on,I will change oils and service all I can.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Smokin Ogre

I got a service manual and do all my own work. I cant trust the local dealer here. I bought the bike from a dealer 60 miles away because of this.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

i too have a new 2013 street glide and i gotta agree that $300 is a bit steep. i am wondering what is exactly done at the 1k mile service. my dealer told me that all fluids would be changed and any necessary adjustments would be made.
the only reason i was going to return to the dealer for this was for a future selling point. you know its been serviced at a hd dealer at the regular service point intervals. i gotta say this kinda scares me to think a dealer would not do what is required or cut corners. plus the $300 price tag.....WOW!!!!!
Robert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fox View Post
i too have a new 2013 street glide and i gotta agree that $300 is a bit steep. i am wondering what is exactly done at the 1k mile service. my dealer told me that all fluids would be changed and any necessary adjustments would be made.
the only reason i was going to return to the dealer for this was for a future selling point. you know its been serviced at a hd dealer at the regular service point intervals. i gotta say this kinda scares me to think a dealer would not do what is required or cut corners. plus the $300 price tag.....WOW!!!!!
$300 is fairly cheap. I think the dealer may have cut him a deal on the first service when they included it in the sales agreement.

Your service manual will tell you the Service Intervals and list everything done for each service.

If you don't have an HD Service Manual for your model/year bike, get one. It will be the best $60 approx you've ever spent on the bike .
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide rider View Post
I have a 2013 street glide. When we bought it we prepaid for first service,almost $300.00 . Bike has had a noise since we picked it up. It now has 1350 miles on it,been back at dealer for noise 3 times. They lowered it for us as well. Well noise has gotten worse,so today 40 degrees,I ride it in to dealer. After couple hours they tell me they think it needs steering head bearings adjusted. Really !!!! Why wasn't it done at 1k service? Told me its an extra charge. Told them they said after test ride they couldnt hear anything,and signed paper all is GOOD. Well is this correct? Wouldn't it being new mean the steering head bearings should be ok? Why should I pay extra to have this work done ?
Thanks,
I would think it should have been caught and adjusted for free. I know my dealer would. They have been owned by the same family since I was a kid. Hell they tell me all the time to not have them do certain things do it myself because they know I can. Exact words are why pay us when you know you can do it. I still let them do the service just because its convienent and I drop it off in the morning on the way to work and pick it up at lunch. I work alot so it leaves me more ride time. I think the first service was like 150. 2011 SG.
If they admitted to a lack luster tech it I were you I'd go somewhere else from now on. Like anythign there are good dealers like family and ones that suck.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

1000 mile service is free at my dealer. Not to many do that. Anything done, such as adjustments or replacing anything, is free. It is covered by the Harley factory warranty.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
I had mine done at Milwaukee HD and they gave me a full detailed invoice for what was done. I also purchased the 7 year warranty and 2 year service schedule, good for 1, 5,10,1, 20,25 + mile service. I had my bike routine service done twice in 3 months. I guess the rule of thumb is to check the techs to make sure you get what you pay for.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

My dealer is family owned,been around many years. Seems they have had a few service managers. They helped us get this 2013 like no other dealer. Just seems the service dept needs more improvement. I agree if steering head needed adjusted then it should have been done in the first service.either way I am not paying for it. I feel it should have been fixed before I bought it.really could they have gone out of adjustment that quick?