Another Handlebar Question - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Smokin Ogre

Another Handlebar Question

I am considering putting 14' apes on my 12 Ultra. I rode a friends bike that has 16's and liked them, but I like the looks of the 14's better. The question is; does the 2 inches make that big of a difference?? I am 6'4 and have a 36' reach. I am using the factory seat. I just don't want to spend the money and wish I had done the 16's. Any input would be helpful.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Smokin Ogre

And I should add, the 16's are at shoulder height for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
That 2 inches makes a huge difference. You wouldn't think it would but it does. I'm 6' 0" with a 32" reach and I went with 14's. They are perfect for me at shoulder height. I feel like any lower or any higher would degrade my comfort a little. I had 16's on my Heritage and 18's on my Shovelhead and going from one bike to the other, I could tell an instant difference. Hope this helps.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
That 2 inches makes a huge difference. You wouldn't think it would but it does. I'm 6' 0" with a 32" reach and I went with 14's. They are perfect for me at shoulder height. I feel like any lower or any higher would degrade my comfort a little. I had 16's on my Heritage and 18's on my Shovelhead and going from one bike to the other, I could tell an instant difference. Hope this helps.

-Rohan
I am toying with the idea of 14Inch apes for my Road King, also 6" tall. There's a lot said about arms getting tired with Ape bars on longer rides, any truth to that. I am going on a 3500 km ride in february.

Any advice is appreciated.
Jacques'HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
If you get the bars to where you are comfortable then you don't really have to worry about arms getting tired or shoulders hurting. Everybody has a different height they like. 14's just happen to be where I'm most comfortable on long distances. 16's and 18's caused me to start getting a little bit of soreness and pain in my shoulders. You can always set the throttle lock and switch off arms if you are cruising down a long stretch of road.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Smokin Ogre

Thanks guys. Jacques'HD, the reason I am going with the higher bars is the stock bars are causing pain in my shoulder and elbow. I think I am going with the 14's. My mechanic (who owns the bike with the 16's) suggested nothing Lowe then 14, but no 18's. Guess its a coin toss and I like the loooks of the 14's better.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Florida does have a maximum height law. Did you ride your buddies bike or just sit on it? Ride it to Daytona and back at one time and you should get your answer.
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Florida does have a maximum height law. Did you ride your buddies bike or just sit on it? Ride it to Daytona and back at one time and you should get your answer.
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Smokin Ogre

I did a 20 mile ride and had no issues, I feel it pretty quick with the stock bars. Florida law states that bars are not to be above riders shoulders. I dont think this is enforced all to often.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Smokin Ogre

I dont think the Florida law is enforced vary often, seeing the bikes that are on the road.