hayden bt07 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

hayden bt07

any problems with the new design with the heavier springs,likes,dislikes,problems someone was saying the chain was really tight.

Last edited by hardheaded; 12-19-2012 at 09:48 AM.
hardheaded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

bump
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Buddy of mine has one. Says the shifts are smoother, clunking is almost non-existent. He likes it. I may try one on my Street Glide. $105 seems a little steep to me though. I would think 60 or 70 at the most but I guess that's the way it is.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Vote Cthulhu in 2016

Is it designed to offset some of the damage that can be caused by crank pin run out? Or does it just make shifts smoother?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
All it does is keeps "correct" tension on the chain at all times. Instead of being a stationary plate for the chain to ride on, it looks like it might use spring tension to keep just enough slop out of the primary chain to avoid "clunking" into gear caused by the slop in the chain being snapped out once the bike is put into gear. I can't see paying that much for it though and now they are saying that in January the price is going up to $130. Honestly, as long as you keep your chain tension within the correct specs according to the manual you should never have any problems other than normal wear of the plastic shoe. I have a 1973 XLH and a 1976 FLH and I've never had an issue with either one other than plastic shoes wearing down.

As far as crank pin run out, I've not ever had it happen but I've seen guys with high HP motors weld theirs in.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Old School

The newer bikes have a spring loaded ratcheting tensioner that keeps the primary chain to tight leading to bearing/seal problems, I actually just recieved the Hayden in the mail a couple of days ago and installing it this weekend..and the price doesn't bother me as long as I avoid repairs/downtime issues...(thats what the H-D stands for,, Hundred Dollars)
Drago's 2 into 1 exhaust
TTS tuner
CVO adjustable rear shocks
C&C custom Sport Touring seat
Detachable hardware/tourpack
Cycle Vision LED taillight/tag mount
J&M Audio 7.25 speaker upgrade
lots misc chrome and enough stuff to keep my wife upset and always more to come

Last edited by Slick02; 01-04-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Slick02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick02 View Post
The newer bikes have a hydraulic ratcheting tensioner that keeps the primary chain to tight leading to bearing/seal problems, I actually just recieved the Hayden in the mail a couple of days ago and installing it this weekend..and the price doesn't bother me as long as I avoid repairs/downtime issues...(thats what the H-D stands for,, Hundred Dollars)
i got a 2012 and they are not hydraulic tensioners in these bikes they are spring loaded ratching devise's, or should i say a tightner.gets tighter and never loosen's up.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
SwampRat

Quote:
The newer bikes have a hydraulic ratcheting tensioner that keeps the primary chain to tight leading to bearing/seal problems, I actually just recieved the Hayden in the mail a couple of days ago and installing it this weekend..and the price doesn't bother me as long as I avoid repairs/downtime issues...(thats what the H-D stands for,, Hundred Dollars)
You will be glad you did went to the Hayden at 40,000 miles on my 09 Ultra and for the next 28K only thing was wishing had done it sooner smoother shifting and less noise ..
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Old School

Hardheaded, I stand corrected sir..thank you
Drago's 2 into 1 exhaust
TTS tuner
CVO adjustable rear shocks
C&C custom Sport Touring seat
Detachable hardware/tourpack
Cycle Vision LED taillight/tag mount
J&M Audio 7.25 speaker upgrade
lots misc chrome and enough stuff to keep my wife upset and always more to come

Slick02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
The newer bikes have a spring loaded ratcheting tensioner that keeps the primary chain to tight leading to bearing/seal problems, I actually just recieved the Hayden in the mail a couple of days ago and installing it this weekend..and the price doesn't bother me as long as I avoid repairs/downtime issues...(thats what the H-D stands for,, Hundred Dollars)
let us know how your install goes and what you end up with as a measurement between the shoe and plate. i'm gonna order one of these shortly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.