Paint issue on new bike - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Paint issue on new bike

Ok - so I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

Just picked up our new 09 RG last month, and we noticed on day one that there was a pretty sizable imperfection in the tank. Pointed it out at the time, and was told service would get it taken care of under warranty.

ok - so it goes to service to get the pipes and some other add ons installed, they take pictures, send it off to HD, and tell me they'll let me know when the replacement tank is in.

So, now a month has gone by, went in for 1K service, pointed it out again, asked about tank, and now the dealership is telling me HD wants them to attempt to buff it out.

The imperfection is under the clear coat, and even if it weren't, all buffing is going to do is either hide it or remove clear coat - neither one of which is an acceptable solution as far as I'm concerned.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to address this? Don't want to be an ass to the dealership because I'll probably need their help on something at some point, but on the other hand, I don't exactly want to get screwed and have the paint on my tank all messed up.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
"Nervous Tick"

open and shut case, the dealer said they will get you a new tank under warranty, they need to do it.
be fair but firm, and request an immediate solution to the problem.
not a buff job, that really means a hose job!
dont take no for an answer. i sure as hell wouldnt!
you paid for new, yu deserve it, period.
g
Old 06-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
I had a very small imperfection on my tank, like they painted over a piece of metal or something. My dealer took it back to look at it and said HD would send another. Wasn't that long before they had a new one installed. Stick to your guns. You paid for it so you want satisfaction, just tell them you want a new one and quite messing around.
ghostrider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Can't remember stuff

Same here. When I took delivery of my 09 Street Glide we found an imperfection on the tank and the bat wing fairing. Both will be replaced by the dealer. They did tell me that they would only do this if we discovered the defects before I rode it away, which we did.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

Stick to your guns..if that gets you no where...do you have a friend or relative that's a lawyer, get them to make a call...

You can Sleep when ur Dead...

Baggers RULE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrb4YGkSOU

HERD Member # 000015
Blackdog 15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Also point out all the add ons you bought from them to Fukers!!!
Badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

I found a blemish on my '09 RK tank... same deal, "it will be replaced under warranty"....... day of delivery, I insist they write it on my sales contract.... they started to refuse and said "HD may want them to try to fix it". I told them they could try to fix it all they wanted, but not on my bike and I wasn't taking delivery in the current condition without a new tank or a written contract for a new tank within 30 days......

What do you know..... they took an acceptable tank off of another bike a swapped it right there.....

HD factory paint really sucks, orange peeled on everyone of them and blemishes on most.... pretty sad....

hoofnhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Pianted by Robots ....Robots are gay!! Cant beat Human hand painting there is a flow to not just applying it to the product and ship it.Yet I know they human buff em.
Badassbrutus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Outta here...

Seen the same thing when I worked at the dealership...the one thing you have to understand is that it ain't the dealership giving you a hard time, it's the factory. If your dealership it telling you that the factory wants them to try and buff it out, then that's the way it's going down...the folks at the factory are a bunch of cheap f*cks when it comes to some kinds of warranty work, with paint/finish issues being the #1 item that they're cheap about. If the dealership can fix it without the factory having to eat the cost of a new tank, then that's what they'll recommend every time.

Think about it for a second: honestly, if you were in their place and were faced with an expense that you might be able to avoid locally, wouldn't you recommend it?

Your dealership can be your best friend in this...stick to your guns, tell the dealership that you understand it's not THEIR fault that the bike came with a glitch in the paint, but that you will NOT settle for a "local fix," that you want the tank REPLACED and not repaired, and you're not going to change your mind. If you talk to the service manager instead of yelling, hollering, and threatening, you'll get what you want. Showing your a$$ to the guys at the dealership is THE quickest way to make them think, "Well, f*ck this guy, he's just an a$$hole so I ain't giving him sh*t!" (I mean, really, what would YOU think if the roles were reversed?)

If it sounds like I'm defending your dealership, I am. Having worked at one, I can tell you first-hand that 99% of the crap that Harley owners go through with their bikes and warranty issues is NOT the fault/responsibility of the dealership - it's with the company. And some folks just don't seem to realize that pissing off the dealership isn't going to win you any prizes or get your problem resolved.

You can make your dealership an ally or an enemy; the choice is yours, but I have a feeling you'll get more done with them as an ally.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Seen the same thing when I worked at the dealership...the one thing you have to understand is that it ain't the dealership giving you a hard time, it's the factory. If your dealership it telling you that the factory wants them to try and buff it out, then that's the way it's going down...the folks at the factory are a bunch of cheap f*cks when it comes to some kinds of warranty work, with paint/finish issues being the #1 item that they're cheap about. If the dealership can fix it without the factory having to eat the cost of a new tank, then that's what they'll recommend every time.

Think about it for a second: honestly, if you were in their place and were faced with an expense that you might be able to avoid locally, wouldn't you recommend it?

Your dealership can be your best friend in this...stick to your guns, tell the dealership that you understand it's not THEIR fault that the bike came with a glitch in the paint, but that you will NOT settle for a "local fix," that you want the tank REPLACED and not repaired, and you're not going to change your mind. If you talk to the service manager instead of yelling, hollering, and threatening, you'll get what you want. Showing your a$$ to the guys at the dealership is THE quickest way to make them think, "Well, f*ck this guy, he's just an a$$hole so I ain't giving him sh*t!" (I mean, really, what would YOU think if the roles were reversed?)

If it sounds like I'm defending your dealership, I am. Having worked at one, I can tell you first-hand that 99% of the crap that Harley owners go through with their bikes and warranty issues is NOT the fault/responsibility of the dealership - it's with the company. And some folks just don't seem to realize that pissing off the dealership isn't going to win you any prizes or get your problem resolved.

You can make your dealership an ally or an enemy; the choice is yours, but I have a feeling you'll get more done with them as an ally.
We're actually on the same page there. I'm working with the service manager, and he understands where I'm coming from. While I ride a lot, I am also pretty picky about appearances, and I didn't get the black one because it was a few bucks cheaper Nothing shines QUITE like black when it is clean and polished.

I have stressed with him that I do understand their predicament, but that I need them to see mine as well. A local fix involving stripping away half the clear coat, or worse, having to repaint one side of the tank, is never going to look quite as good as a factory job.

I cant blame Harley for saving money either. Probably 80% of the customers either wouldn't notice or wouldn't care, and of the remainder who would care, 80% of those would be happy with a local fix. I'm just in that small irritatingly picky percentage. Sometimes it sucks being a perfectionist.

As an update, the service manager is calling the HD rep for me to see what he can do and get this worked out the right way.
honorsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.