Intercom Problems - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Intercom Problems

I did a search but couldn't find anything about people having troubles with their intercom system. I finally got 2 new headsets set up in our helmets and set the system according to the manual but we are unable to keep it working. Are there any Typical problem that you know about with this system. It's kinda like crappy switches because it will change from the sterio to weather band and the volume is up and down and my wife can hear me but I can't hear her(which is not really a bad thing).
I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say before I take it in to the repair shop.
The bike is a 2007 Ultra Classic.
Thanks
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Try the info I posted in this other thread...couldn't get a link to work so I just copied the post.

Hit the mode button on the right handlebar until it is on the radio setting and then turn the volume all the way down. Then push the Com button on the radio and adjust the volume to the desired setting. Your radio display must be showing the function (i.e. FM CD AUX COM) for the one you are trying to set the volume for...believe me I spent some time figuring this out. But once you get all of it figured it is really very slick...You can have Intercom chat with your passenger without broadcasting over the CB in the VOX mode (Voice activated) then with the CB on you can hit the PTT button on the left bar to transmit on the CB...all while listening to your favorite tunes at an enjoyable level. The same theory applies to adjusting the passengers volume..you must be on the Radio or CD for them to adjust that volume in the back and then COM or Intercom to adjust that volume.
wood butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
a new old fart

I have a 05 Ultra. and when I first bought my bike the radio intercom would just quit, so in the end they had to switch out the radio and its been working just fine. my radio was made for two or three years so it must have been a bad model
Larry Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
SNAFU organizer

The biggest mistake is letting the passenger have those switches on the side of the seat.

Id just sit in the garage with the passenger and go over the owners manual instructions first, page by page anything wrong with the system will show up and you both can kinda learn while NOT going down the road at 70mph.
Only thing else I know is when you install headsets be careful not to pull on wires leading into earphones and mikes as they will come loose and give intermitent or no service.
vlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Had problems with my intercom system initially. Dealer kept saying it was the helmets (J&M Corp helmets). J&M Corp guy keep saying helmets are perfect. Long story short, it was the wiring harness in the bike and covered by warranty.

Hope you get yours fixed because they are great to have on a long, multi day ride.
badinfluence63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Guys. We did get everything set up in the garage to work pretty good with the exception of the VOX. If I turned the VOX all the way up we could talk to each other just fine but the intercom is activated all the time. When I turn the VOX down one bar the voice activation cuts in and out so you will catch every other word of the conversation. In the garage, I have the ingition swith on Accesory but when the bike is running in the ignition switch position my wife can hear me on the intercom but I can't hear her. She can hear the sterio but that's all. I know this is a difficult problem to diagnous here but any of your experiences might help.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs down Problem with 05 ultra Intercom

I have a 05 Ultra that I that I just bought. When I bought it the radio worked then went out so I had it rebuilt by Harley, under my esp warranty. When it came back now when ever the bike hits about 3000rpms the intercom over rides and mutes the radio. It does this if it is playing thru the helmets or the speakers. I tried to change the avc from one to three and this did not help it still doing it. I have brand new Harley helmet headsets. Does anyone have any advice. My dealer says I must just be doing something work in the operation
my05ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Angry Intercom problem

I have an Intercom problem on my 2007 Electra Glide. Just bought 2 new Scorpion Helmets from IMC with headsets installed. Passenger's helmet works fine, driver's does not, Mic does not work. Switched helmets and same thing, so helmets are fine. Thought it was the wiring harness from gas tank to under seat, replaced it, still Mic does not work.
Did the software update for VOX via CD, checks okay. Did the diagnostic check, checks okay.
Have no clue what could be wrong, has to be something from the main wiring harness under the seat to the HK radio itself.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Baroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroo View Post
I have an Intercom problem on my 2007 Electra Glide. Just bought 2 new Scorpion Helmets from IMC with headsets installed. Passenger's helmet works fine, driver's does not, Mic does not work. Switched helmets and same thing, so helmets are fine. Thought it was the wiring harness from gas tank to under seat, replaced it, still Mic does not work.
Did the software update for VOX via CD, checks okay. Did the diagnostic check, checks okay.
Have no clue what could be wrong, has to be something from the main wiring harness under the seat to the HK radio itself.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
?????
Baroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

When mine starts acting up, I've learned to check the connectors at the helmet. For some reason they come slightly loose, and that's the only problem I've had on mine.
CWDoc115 is offline   Reply With Quote