Ultra Classic-Rear trunk detaches?? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ultra Classic-Rear trunk detaches??

I'm a touring convert and have been torn between a RK and SG. I've heard hints about being able to remove the trunk on an Ultra Classic and need to confirm that because that will change up my options quite a bit. (I found out that it's possible with a a little work)

If I picked up a Road King I was going to get a fairing and radio as well as a tour pack.. but don't want to "reinvent the wheel"
if I don't have to goto that trouble.. (found out I don't need to goto the trouble if I don't want to)

****here's a link I found for those like me who don't think to do a search before they start a new thread..

Tour Pack

Last edited by donutsok; 07-08-2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: head up my butz
donutsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
SNAFU organizer

I havnt looked lately but I believe HD will sell all the kits needed to strip down an Ultra classic, Disconnects and antenna remounts. Probably some others might have options too I think you can get saddlebag lids that will accept speakers (rear) that you will lose if you drop the pac. That I know is aftermarket but we oughta be getting the 2010 catolog in in a week or so.
Might just wait to see the latest.
vlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired citizen

HD has kits to convert the Ultra to a detatchable tourpack . Have your HD parts person check the HD P&A catalog for your specific model and year .
SCHMIDTYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
when did it start 4u

yea I think its 8046-?? there is two parts you need to make it detachable one is a hardware kit for the frame about 50 bucks the other is for the pak about 150.00, that is all you need, what dad went for with his ultra works good liked it so nice made one fit for my 88
2011 Subaru OB (DD)

A great man once said
" you better keep your traps shut, bc you know what they say, People in glass houses sink ships"
Jacket4256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
IBA Member 40248

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsok View Post
I'm a touring convert and have been torn between a RK and SG. I've heard hints about being able to remove the trunk on an Ultra Classic and need to confirm that because that will change up my options quite a bit. (I found out that it's possible with a a little work)

If I picked up a Road King I was going to get a fairing and radio as well as a tour pack.. but don't want to "reinvent the wheel"
if I don't have to goto that trouble.. (found out I don't need to goto the trouble if I don't want to)

****here's a link I found for those like me who don't think to do a search before they start a new thread..

Tour Pack
I have an 08 Ultra and asked about that very thing when I bought it. In short, yes, HD does make a kit you can buy that your dealer can install which is a quick detach option. With that in mind, the dealer was honest about some issues you should keep in mind. You are essentially creating breaks in each electrical connection going to your tour pak (antenna, lights, CB). So that could cause issues over time. The term "quick" detach kit isn't quite "quick" as it takes some time to get the tour pak on and off with all the mounting and cables. After riding my Ultra over 8000 miles since Dec 08, I've grown to like the extra room in the tour pak. If the tour pak isnt something you like, go with the street glide or road king. There are also a wide range of motorcycle luggage for those longer trips.
lb2910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
" BAGGERS RULE "

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsok View Post

Tour Pack
In all honesty my wife and I use our Tourpack more than we do our side bags on our 09 Ultra. The side bags are kinda a pain in the a__ to get into all the time. Besides you can store two helmets in the Tourpack very easily. I ride mine to work and around town solo but like the fact of the added LED lighting built into the pack.
Pewter Pearl
Terryg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well I went ahead and had the tourpak detach kit installed on my 09 UC. It is work getting it on and off but depending on how often you plan on going on long trips it's worth the trouble. I can also use the detach sissy bar on it as well. THe only issue is how bulky the new mounting bracket is and if you don't plan on using sissy bar and want a cleaner look you can easily take off the brackets and securing trim piece on each side of the seat with a single bolt (that's shorter than screws used on the brackets)..

** another note is be prepared to have to get new brake/turnsignal setup because license plate will need to be moved to bottom side of brake light.. I'll post pics of modification. A buddy had a roadking setup that I bought from him and installed, as well as an oem roadking seat.
donutsok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had a detachable mount on my '03 Ultra Classic that allow me to move the tour pack forward for solo riding. Man that was one comfortable ride.

Oklahoma Patriot Guard Rider
Mein Herz ist im Darmstadt
HERD Member # 000032

Respect commands itself, and can neither be given nor withheld when it is due
juke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
09 Ultra Classic

I like my tour pak a lot and use it all the time. I don't think I would ever want to take it off. I like the way the UC looks with the tour pak on and the bags....sharp looking bike IMHO. Just added the air wing luggage rack today and that made it look even better.
Wayniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Its a simple job once you do the research. I had lots of people ask me about it back when I did my 05 Ultra. Makes the bike cool looking when you don't need all the crap.
Mike Sastra's 2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Audioi is offline   Reply With Quote