Violent handlebar shake at speed - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Violent handlebar shake at speed

Hi all,
I went riding today with my friend. He has a 2009 Road Glide. He had a new issue to share with me today. As we hit about 40 MPH he says, ""watch this" and then let go of the handle bars. The bars proceeded to shake violently and the entire end seemed to buck back and forth. As soon as he just grips the bars it simply goes away and he feels nothing at all. If he increases speed it also goes away. When I tell you it shakes, I do not mean lightly. The entire bike begins to shake. There is a recall on this issue. I assume it is the bearings in the head but I don't know for sure. Any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else reading this? Would like to hear about it so I can help my friend.

Ed
SGHWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Just passing thru

Sounds like the head bearing is too loose if it smooths out just by grabbing the bars. I hope he has it checked out right away.

Pics
EZE RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

my 09 street glide does the same thing. and it makes the clutch lever rattle. There was a earlier post about this problum. must be something in the new frame/engine mount. My 06, and 08 street glide's didnt have this.
PRR_K4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

My 09 SG doesn't have this problem, so it's clearly not on all bikes. I hope you guy's get things resolved quickly. I will be interested in hearing the outcome.
ZZippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
"Nervous Tick"

my '05 883l does the same thing. i checked the bearings during the tire change a month back, and did not find loose bearings, and did put the bike back together unchanged. it's really not a problem for me if i have one hand on the bars.
i do plan to finish out the season, and adjust the bearings over winter..
it is a bit scary to let go of those bars at 40mph, thats for sure, but i've decided to leave it for now..and no, the dealer wont be making any adjustments to my steering or suspension systems.....ever
g
Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

No problems here...but mine is a CVO
V-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

All of the Touring bikes for 2009 had a new tire on the front and rear. D407Fs on the front and D408s on the back. The D407F tires have had rider issues with them concerning wear and vibration. At mid year, January 2009 the MOCO switched to a "new" tire designated the D408F on the front. This was called a mid year change and came about with little fanfare. If your bike was built early in the 2009 model year it has a D407F on the front, which very well could be your problem. If built later in the model year it will have a D408F on the front. If you have the newer D408F on your bike, the tire is probably not the problem. If you have the D407F on the front, you have a problem as the MOCO does not want to replace them.
texaswiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
" BAGGERS RULE "

Gotta 09 Ultra here and everything is fine at any speed. I do have the Dunlop D408F Front tire.....
Pewter Pearl
Terryg43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a 09 electra glide standard, last week I also had the front handlebars vibrate unlike before, I was running 30-40 mph, I blamed it on lugging at a low rpm, but it seemed a little excessive, I have 4000 miles on it and it has only happened once.
Rider696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Screw It Lets Ride

This could lead to a tank slapper.... that usually doesn't end well. Try to get the dealer to fix it while you wait. IMO it is not safe to ride with the head bearing loose....
just my .02