Compensator Sprocket troubles - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Touring General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Compensator Sprocket troubles

Anyone else having compensator sprocket troubles on touring models. Third visit to dealer 3400miles still having issues, they just replaced and added a fifth wave washer. Dealer says bikes are coming right and left with issues on 96inch touring models. It started out as a rattle down low in the bottom end of the bike, took a while til I tracked it down to primary area ( see 09 ultra thread). Dealer blew me off the first visit advising normal vibrations. Second visit the admitted to issues with compensator sprocket and kept the bike another week and placed and upgraded. I got to look at the old one when I picked the bike friday, it was scared up badly.After riding yesterday and today the rattle has returned even worse now as is it knocks loudly at 70-75mph. So tomorrow morning it's back to HD again. Any one else with same issue...
Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
I break stuff.

Mine used to come loose every once in a while... last time, we loctited it and no problems since. I don't remember if it was red or blue.

President, Dirty Old Ladies Club

MOO!
KBOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The six speed models with the new comp sprocket have a bolt that gets replaced everytime it is removed . The new bolt has a thread lock compound already applied to the threads .
SCHMIDTYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
1 member biker club

There is a heavy duty compensator in the Screaming Eagle catalog. I have been thinking this compensator would upgrade this weak link from the factory. Not sure, but you might ask around about it. A friend changed the primary gearing in his '08. The new compensator sprocket eliminated the compensator completely. He loves the way it runs without having a compensator. It removed the slack when on the throttle, then off the throttle.
oldbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trade School Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbag View Post
There is a heavy duty compensator in the Screaming Eagle catalog. I have been thinking this compensator would upgrade this weak link from the factory. Not sure, but you might ask around about it. A friend changed the primary gearing in his '08. The new compensator sprocket eliminated the compensator completely. He loves the way it runs without having a compensator. It removed the slack when on the throttle, then off the throttle.
The best improvement I made, the SE Compensator Kit

Al
Stock CVO 110 Mufflers, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags & Modified HD Deluxe Guards, H-D Luggage rack, H-D Windshield, SE Fork Brace, SE Comp, Thunder Max A/T, S&S Lifters, Zipper's dual piston tensioners, Progressive Mono tubes & 422 Shocks, SCRC 524
Bagger set up to ride comfortably
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'll keep the SE kit in mind, I picked up my bike this time they replaces the adjuster and chain. It seems to be cured now, time will tell.
Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I only have 700 miles on my 09 ultra Bad knock in primary, Glade you guys talked about this problem, Will see what the dealer says
MERC150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
1 member biker club

Al...could you give some detail the SE compensator made in your ride?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleft36 View Post
The best improvement I made, the SE Compensator Kit

Al
oldbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Northern Redneck

Red is the bomb...

You can Sleep when ur Dead...

Baggers RULE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTrb4YGkSOU

HERD Member # 000015
Blackdog 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trade School Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbag View Post
Al...could you give some detail the SE compensator made in your ride?
My bike is an '07. I don't know if the same old is in the '09

It shifts smoother, no more start bang, no lower rattle, takes off smoother and an over all tighter sound and feeling.

Al
Stock CVO 110 Mufflers, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags & Modified HD Deluxe Guards, H-D Luggage rack, H-D Windshield, SE Fork Brace, SE Comp, Thunder Max A/T, S&S Lifters, Zipper's dual piston tensioners, Progressive Mono tubes & 422 Shocks, SCRC 524
Bagger set up to ride comfortably
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote