shifter pawl adjustment - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Trans/Primary

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
gorilla glue tuff

shifter pawl adjustment

okay i've searched high and low online and through my manual on how to adjust my shifter pawl. i know what needs to be done and how to do it but my problem is i cant find this jam nut and allen head bolt and its driving me insane. everything ive found shows where the jam nut and allen head are but on my bike its just an allen head screw with no jam nut and in the manual it says "Screw (not an adjuster)" am i missing something here??? i want to tear what hair i have left out trying to figure this out!
Frosty4232 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
gorilla glue tuff

its a 2001 super glide if that helps any.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

2001and later do not have the adjustable centering pin for the shifter pawl.
Dan89flstc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
gorilla glue tuff

Is there any way to adjust it? I have the top cover off and I can see that's it is definitely off. In 3rd gear it's all the way forward instead of in the middle
Old 04-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Like was said , there's no adjustment screw . The shift drum isn't adjustable either . Make sure the 4 hold down bolts are tight too . There might be a bent shift fork but that would be evident looking at them with the cover off .
Your service manual shows the relationship between the gears and shift forks and where they should locate in each gear .
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan89flstc View Post
2001and later do not have the adjustable centering pin for the shifter pawl.
Actually Dan, I believe it's ANY TC trans, only Evo and older. I could be wrong...

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
gorilla glue tuff

well thats a bummer. i looked at the shift forks and they look fine. i'm lost here as to whats going on with this trans. im half tempted to just rebuild the thing
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I just read in American Iron that the adjustable centering pin can be installed in the later trans. I'm pretty sure the gear set has to come out and the shifter ratchet removed, but realistically it can be done in an afternoon. The biggest deal is pulling the inner primary bearing off the input main shaft. You can do this by CAREFULLY cutting down lengthwise on the inner bearing with a cut off wheel and then cracking it with a chisel, it falls right off. Make sure not to cut the shaft. A new one is cheap and can be tapped on, no special tools. The trans doesn't have to be removced from the bike.
chris_lacey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
gorilla glue tuff

Thanks for the info Chris. I was actually thinking last night about doing that last night but wasn't sure if it was possible
Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty4232 View Post
Thanks for the info Chris. I was actually thinking last night about doing that last night but wasn't sure if it was possible
So what's wrong with your trans anyways ??? It's not shifting good or what ???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.