primary noise - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Trans/Primary

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

primary noise

I ride 03 wideglide.I changed the primary and tower gaskets becouse they were leaking. While I was there I adjusted the tensioned and clutch. After riding for about a hour it started whirring real bad. I heard they will do that if too tight so I loosened it and rode again about 2 hours. Noise still there but not as bad. Could it still be too tight, thought I gave it plenty of slack. Could clutch be too tight, not much free play in lever. I also only put 26 ounces of primary fluid in as manual stated. Bike has 37.000 miles and tensioner didn't look too bad on wear. Any help appreciated.thanks
wide03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide03 View Post
I ride 03 wideglide.I changed the primary and tower gaskets becouse they were leaking. While I was there I adjusted the tensioned and clutch. After riding for about a hour it started whirring real bad. I heard they will do that if too tight so I loosened it and rode again about 2 hours. Noise still there but not as bad. Could it still be too tight, thought I gave it plenty of slack. Could clutch be too tight, not much free play in lever. I also only put 26 ounces of primary fluid in as manual stated. Bike has 37.000 miles and tensioner didn't look too bad on wear. Any help appreciated.thanks

Tensioner play: 5/8"-7/8" cold, at the tightest spot. This is found by rotating the engine and pressing the chain upwards in the middle. If you fail to use this method, your chain will always be too tight.

If the noise wasn't there prior to adjustment, and now it is, then it's likely that's your issue, BUT....your primary takes 32 onces of oil, not 26. The TRANS takes 26. Your tensioner shoe may be starving for oil and that can contribute to your noise as well.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks dave63.what is the best way to rotate engine, not saying your wrong but in my manual on page 1-26 it says pour 26oz in through clutch inspection cover. I too thought that was not enough think I will put another 4-6oz in any way. Don't want too pull Derby cover cause I don't have a qaud ring. Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

To find the tightest spot in the primary chain, I usually do mine on a jack, rotating the rear tire in 5th gear, with both plugs out.

If I'm adjusting the primary chain, I'm usually doing a 10K service, so the plugs would be out for inspetion/regap/replacement any way.

Your manual may in fact say 26 onces. Not doubting that.

We've had this discussion before.

Primary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
I'm wondering what manuals everyone is reading ? All the touring model primary cases get 32oz. except the 6spd models which get 38oz. , wet refill . Softails still get 32oz. . Sportster primary / trans gets 32oz. .
Also the older touring models like '91 - '92 with the dimpled primary cover get 38oz. .

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

OK dave63 as always experience says more.sorry didn't do search first but my only puter access is my Cell phone and it's a pain in the ass. Thanks again for your help
Old 07-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
If you actually remove the outer primary cover, you lose at least 2-3 ounces of fluid that doesn't drain by just popping the plug. My manual calls for 28 ounces when changing, but this time I dumped in a whole quart thinking it would take it to get it back to the same level.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

best way to rotate the engine is put the bike in first gear & rotate the tear tire.
oh! i forgot . you have to jack up the rear end too.
eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote