Acidic aluminum cleaner - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Wheels and Tires

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Acidic aluminum cleaner

Looking online for aluminum cleaners took me to a few sites dealing with Aluminum Tanker Trucks and the chemicals that they use to clean the bright shiny liquid tank-trailers you see on the road. Some carry milk and such. You often times com up on the rear of these tank trailers going down the road and their mirror polish and convex shape intertain you briefly, especially if your behind one in stop and go traffic. The effects of your reflection similar to Circus mirrors. Well they use a fairly powerful cleaning agent on the trailers that remove road grime rain debrees and tar........ and just about any sticky staining grime you might encounter, and yet the shine of the aluminum to a mirror finish remains. Something like this would be ideal for cast aluminum wheels on the HD's and the three little valleys on the carb side, the push rod castings and the valley between the cylinders. Of course all one would need is a gallon of the stuff to last indefinatly, for hundreds of washes. The biggest challenge would be where to find small quantities of such a solution. Anybody have any suggestions as to where to find something of this nature either on ebay or similar? We'v got to have some truckers out there that might be keen on where to get something like that.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

ummmm, aren't most of those tankers stainless steel?
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Aluminum is porous. Anything with a high enough acidity will tarnish the aluminum, leaving it dull. S100 will do that to raw, untreated aluminum. As will Purple Power or any other high Ph concentrated cleaner.

Most of those trucks are cleaned with high power spray, heated water and detergent. If the surface is shiney enough, it'll stay that way, as you've polished the surface to a lesser porousity.

I'd experiment with Coors Light beer cans, but I rarely hold them in my hand long enough, before tossing them into the recycling bin.....

HD's wheels, carbs and such, are rough castings. I've cleaned the carbs with Trychlorethylene (Chlorinated brake clean) with mild surface scrubbing with a 3m gray scuffie, and have them come up like new.

The issue of cleaning wheels has another issue: Any wheel that's clearcoated (powerder coated) gets pelted with hot metal chips from today's modern sintered brake pads, burning into the powder coat, and making the rim look dirty. In reality, the metal dust and chips burn their way into the wheel, leaving it damaged. Cars now show signs of the same issues.....
Old 08-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
EVO RULER

muratic acid and phosphuric acid blend also know as aluminum brightner.
moose49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose49 View Post
muratic acid and phosphuric acid blend also know as aluminum brightner.
Any harmful results when mixed?

Will it also clean stainless?
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gear Jammer

Most tankers are wrapped in stainless that's why they shine as they hypnotis you while behind them. Aluminium brightener is what is used on trucks fuel tank
, steps, and wheels. It works good but after a couple of times of using it your aluminium will turn a light grey color and you'll have to polish them to get the shine back that you want. If you still want to get some most RV dealer's carry it in 1 gallon jugs, just read the directions on the bottle and follow them carefully so you don't turn your wheels grey the first time you use it. Me personally, it works fine for my rig but I wouldn't use it on my scoot.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gear Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post

Dave it'll clean stainless and doesn't dull it out like it does to aluminium.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

A buddy of mine used Vinegar to clean his aluminum on his rig....a weak 5% acid, and biodegradable.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gear Jammer

I get mine brightened after winter to get all the salt and liquid chemicals off my aluminum and stainless, after that its back to the buffer and jewelers rouge. If its sposed to shine its gotta shine.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
EVO RULER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post

Ya want to buy it pre-mixed stinks like -ell and bubbles up.Just alot better and safer to let the chemical company do it. Yes it will clean stainless and remove rust from cast etc.
moose49 is offline   Reply With Quote