michelin commander II or dunlop 402? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Wheels and Tires

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

michelin commander II or dunlop 402?

like it says trying to decide between the two different tires for my roadglide. any feedback would be great

thanks
bigwobbely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

well i went with the commander II's and so far so good.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

why did you choose them, and why do you like them so far?
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Old Leatherneck

Garage
I've got about 75 miles on a set of Commander II's. First impression....very good!

I won't get rowdy with 'em till I wear the nubs off, but so far they are smooth, quiet and seem to be very grippy. Noticeable difference from the Dunlops I replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Axle.jpg (139.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg CommIIRear.jpg (178.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

rocker honestly i went with them cause they were cheaper than the dunlop 402's that i was gonna get. talked to rep from michelin and the commander ii's are suppose to be the best thing out(but would he really have said different) commander ii's are said to get like 25k out of the rear and more out of the front. as far as why i like them well cause the front tire needed no wheel weights to balance and the rear only needed 1/2oz. to be balanced. they really make my roadglide feel planted to the street i got them both for $232 shiped to my door from bike bandit the only thing i found strange was that the front tire looks like its on backwards just like in the pictures jdoyal posted.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Old Leatherneck

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwobbely View Post
......... front tire looks like its on backwards just like in the pictures jdoyle posted.
LOL! That's the first thing my buddy said when he saw the tire. We double checked for the directional arrow.....A-OK!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

the guy at the dealer freaked out!! he was like wow man!!!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Just bought myself a good ol commander 2 for the front. Imma have mismatched tires, but the rear is way too new to justify replacing it.
So in my biased opinion id say the commander
Hoping to see how it goes, and since imma mount it myself ill make sure it looks like it is on backward.

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
kickstand grinder

25K on a tire? I wish.

Does anyone know if they have tire mileage war for Moto tires?
If so- I've never heard of them.
Whiskey Priests M/C
- part time
Road Captain of "Numb asses" M/C
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 28, 2011
Michelin Commander 2 Tires
BY NICOLAS R

Brand new for January 2012, the Michelin Commander 2 Tire seems to be the end-all be-all for cruiser tires. Studies conducted in the production phase of these tires using a Harley Electra Glide showed that the rear tire will last nearly twice as long as the Commander II's main competition from Metzeler and Dunlop. The brand new Michelin Commander 2 Rear Tires can cover up to 40,000km (nearly 25,000mi). Utilizing a more rigid tire casing than what is generally seen on comparable tires. This higher-density casing offers better handling and tremendous feedback with the road. At the back tire, aramid tread plies are used which resist centrifugal growth, provide extra stability and reduce the overall weight of the tire. In addition, the Commander II tires are using square bead wires which improve casing rigidity, overall handling and make them a cinch to install. The Michelin Commander 2 Front Tires and rear tires will also perform excellently in the rain, as their new rubber compounds provide unparalleled grip in the wet without sacrificing longevity. There are numerous longitudinal grooves in these tires that force water out. In addition, using Silica Rain Technology, Michelin has integrated silica into the compound of the tire to prevent uneven wear.