Michelin Commander II Review - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Wheels and Tires

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #41 (permalink)

I've had a pair of the Commander 2's since mid-June. With almost 6000 on them now, I am amazed at the way they handle, and are wearing. Last set on my Dyna were Dunlop 402's; the back lasted about 6000. Top that off with the price I gave through Bike Bandit, which has a discount program with the AMA of 15%, I got them for $197 with free shipping. I'm hoping to see somewhere around 15-18000 miles on them, even with my aggressive riding style.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
spockscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #42 (permalink)

I to am happy with the commander II's so far, I installed a set in May at 18,000 and as of today the bike has 28,900, wear on the rear is better than expected at almost 11,000 and front is normal with less cupping than the previous 408's. I did add balance beads to the rear at the 7,000 mark and wished I had done this to both tires at install time. Hine site is better than glasses.
roadglider11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglider11 View Post
I to am happy with the commander II's so far, I installed a set in May at 18,000 and as of today the bike has 28,900, wear on the rear is better than expected at almost 11,000 and front is normal with less cupping than the previous 408's. I did add balance beads to the rear at the 7,000 mark and wished I had done this to both tires at install time. Hine site is better than glasses.
You really think the balance beads are a better approach to computer balancing? Just interested why you wished you had done that before?
I have a summer's worth driving on my front Commander II and about 1500 miles on the rear and definitely like them better than the factory tires. But have not experienced much wet weather - not much of it here in Texas these days, months, years.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #44 (permalink)

Question.....so for those with an 18" Front wheel like the newer Street Glides what can you do for a front tire with the Commander II? The reason for my question is that I have 06 SG wheels on my 03 EG and just got a BRAND NEW 18" SG front wheen and Tire(Dunlop 407/408) Last week I just put on the new rear commander, so now I am trying to decide what to do for these tires.....
glide_n_around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #45 (permalink)

Bought a pair of Commander 2's and got the rear back on my Fatboy tonite. Had a Metzler 880 previous and before that the stock Dunlop or what was left of it. Comparing the Michelin and the Metzler the Metzler looked more low profile than the Michelin. Michelin looks more 'rounder'.
Rode my normal after work ride and there really was a huge difference even comparing the Metzler when it was new. The bike just wanted to fall into the turns. Just seemed way more responsive. Getting the front mounted tomorrow, currently have the stock 8 year old dunlop on it. Should be interesting....
IndianaFatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #46 (permalink)

Garage
Put a set of Michelin Commander II's on my 2011 FLHTK a few months ago in May. After 8000 miles the rear was shot and I have already replaced it with a new tire. I try to check the pressure reguarly 40psi rear, 36psi front. The front is starting to cup but has so much tread I decided not to replace it yet as I am so rough on tires. I figure it will last till I need a rear so I will get a complete set at that time. I like the tires for handling and wet conditions but don't know if I will get another set or not. I may go back to OEM or try a set of Dunlop American Elite. I ride moderately aggressive, on pavement that could be a little smoother and mostly in the mountains of North Georgia. I do a lot of shifting, so I am putting a lot of stress on that rear tire, but I really thought I'd get better mileage, especially after all the bragging about how these tires should last almost twice as long as other brands. Nice tire but I don't think it's better than anything else.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #47 (permalink)

Got a nail in the rear Dunlop and changed to the Commander II. The bike lost 100 lbs. in moving around the garage and on the road totally different personality, now it rides like a m/c rather than a truck. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
madskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #48 (permalink)

With just a few hundred miles on the new comander 2 at the rear, a 130/90-16 for my 02 Road King. I will be taking a serious look into making the mods to fit the MU or 140 when this tire expires.
I am adjusting corner entry as the bike breaks quicker, profile I guess. It seems very round compared to the E3 or ME880 in the MT90 profile. On all of my previous E-3 rears I've run 37 psi tire and 16 at the shocks solo and 40/25+ loaded, and always noticed the difference in the tires cushion-ability. With this C-II I am having trouble feeling any cushion at all 36, 38 and 40 psi's on the tire. I've checked and set the pressure with every ride since inatallation, about 5-6. times. It just feels harder which makes me skeptial about traction so I havent pushed it yet. Not unhappy still, after it gets skuffed up a bit more I can push the traction and lean angle envelope. I tried the C-II for the milage claims, but with 130's under a Road King I really doubt it will be double. It will need to provide me with significantly lower operating costs or I'll go back to the E3's.
The worst day riding beats the best day working
SE Road King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glide_n_around View Post
Question.....so for those with an 18" Front wheel like the newer Street Glides what can you do for a front tire with the Commander II? The reason for my question is that I have 06 SG wheels on my 03 EG and just got a BRAND NEW 18" SG front wheel and Tire(Dunlop 407/408) Last week I just put on the new rear commander, so now I am trying to decide what to do for these tires.....
The 18" is due out 1st quarter 2013. Starting in December, I'll be calling about every two weeks until available.

Have done a few hundred on the back now and once in a good rain.
Very dependable in the rain. Very responsive in turns and easier to duck walk the bike around. No complaints except the 18" front tire is not ready.
- Ben Stein
redman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #50 (permalink)

Well I now have 3500 miles on my Commander IIs, and they show very little by way of wear. Both look nearly new. By this time I would have serious wear on the rear while running Dunlops. I was getting about 5600-6500 miles per rear tire running Dunlops, and I'm pretty certain I'll have no problem getting 10000 out of the C-2s.

I realize part of it is the pavement is much cooler now. But even riding in the winter, my Dunlops were toast after 6500 miles. In the summer, I was lucky to get 5600 miles out of 'em. I ride 20K plus every year, often 30K plus, so this is a huge issue for me.

I do think the C-2s ride a little rougher in general than the Dunlops, but I have had no issues wet or dry as pertaining to traction under throttle. I should be classified as a very aggressive type rider. I live by the rule "if you ride long enough, you're gonna go down." So get on your bike, get where the heck you're going, and get off, as fast as possible. Cuts down on road time.

37 pounds in rear, 34 in front.