Front End Wobble - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Wheels and Tires

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Front End Wobble

I have a 2009 Road King Classic with 20K miles. At 17K, I had my front tire replaced. On the ride home from the HD dealer, I noticed a pronounced wobble in the front end that was most prevalent at 35 MPH. The wobble dissipated as I sped up and was barley noticeable above 55 MPH. I took the bike back to the HD dealer and they checked it out. They said everything was fine. I took it on a road trip and it seemed to get worse so I took it to another dealership and they checked it out. They said the front tire was out of balance so they rebalanced it. The wobble remained. I took it back to the HD dealer who changed the tire and had them fully check it out again and they said everything was within specs and that it was probably the neck bearing that needed adjustment. The other dealer stated it wasn't a neck bearing issue. I am getting ready to take the bike in for a 20K service. Any ideas on what may be wrong with the front end would be helpful. I don't plan on accepting the bike back from the dealer until this is resolved.
rmuegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Thread Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuegge View Post
I have a 2009 Road King Classic with 20K miles. At 17K, I had my front tire replaced. On the ride home from the HD dealer, I noticed a pronounced wobble in the front end that was most prevalent at 35 MPH. The wobble dissipated as I sped up and was barley noticeable above 55 MPH. I took the bike back to the HD dealer and they checked it out. They said everything was fine. I took it on a road trip and it seemed to get worse so I took it to another dealership and they checked it out. They said the front tire was out of balance so they rebalanced it. The wobble remained. I took it back to the HD dealer who changed the tire and had them fully check it out again and they said everything was within specs and that it was probably the neck bearing that needed adjustment. The other dealer stated it wasn't a neck bearing issue. I am getting ready to take the bike in for a 20K service. Any ideas on what may be wrong with the front end would be helpful. I don't plan on accepting the bike back from the dealer until this is resolved.
Could be the neck bearing

could be air pressure, too low or high

Same brand/size tire???

"If sparks aren't flyin', you ain't ridin'" -Me
XL1200R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuegge View Post
On the ride home from the HD dealer, I noticed a pronounced wobble in the front end that was most prevalent at 35 MPH. The wobble dissipated as I sped up and was barley noticeable above 55 MPH. .
Not for nothin but you said it was a pronounced wobble in the front end. Didn't your dealer test ride it? If they did I would think they would feel a bad wobble and from what you are saying it never was even a little better after picking up the bike. They let you take the bike? Think you should find someplace else to get your work done. I would be wondering what was gonna go wrong every time I pick up the bike from service. Just saying.
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
- Babe Ruth
Tailgunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

You may be experiencing what is known as "flutter". But first a question: Does this wobble happen while your hands are on the bars or off? Flutter is when the bars wobbling back and forth when no hands are on the handle bars (no dampening). Flutter is considered by many to be normal at speeds above 15-20 mph; however it can be minimized or almost eliminated with proper weighting (balancing) of the tires. I have found the use of Dyna beads to virtually eliminate the "flutter". Dyna beads are tiny beads that are kinda like BB's that go inside the tires or tubes. They replace traditional wheel weights. I can't explain the physics of how they work, go to their website and watch the video. To me it's pure "PFM".
I don't sell them and am not affiliated with any shop so don't think I'm trying to sell something. I use them in the tires on my Electra glide and I cannot tell you how much it changed the ride. The whole front end smoothed out and vibration was dampened (you can't eliminate it all).
Dyna beads are cheap and easy to install. I paid about $15.00 for both tires. You simply insert them through the valve stem, re-inflate the tires and done. Takes less than 15 minutes.

Dyna Beads for Motorcycle Riders and Dealers

I don't know if this will fix your issue, but it's cheap and can't hurt to try it out first.
Just my .02 worth.
Good luck!

Last edited by Motorman 606; 06-05-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: grammar
Motorman 606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Thread Master

Garage
I'll agree with him. The beads are kick ass!!!

"If sparks aren't flyin', you ain't ridin'" -Me
XL1200R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Señor Member

Inconsistent spoke tension, improper inflation, and neck bearings are the usual suspects.

Mine happens at 38-42 mph. Very mild and not at all with hand or hands on bar(s).

Last point. I have never noticed it at all with my windshield off which suggests it could be a combination of things that require mild buffering in the equation for it to manifest itself.

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote