Car tires on a motorcycle? - Page 4 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Wheels and Tires

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
emmojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 364
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
It is interesting to me that the tire manufactures can not make a bike tire that gets similar mileage to a car tire at a reasonable price.

I understand bikes need a softer compound but my last rear only made it 3500 mile.

I tend to think the technology exists to make a 15 or 20 K tire but they are not produced in the interest of profit.
You might want to keep a closer check on your tire pressure if all you got was 3500 miles???
__________________
2013 Ember Red Street Glide
2012 Tequilla Sunrise Road King Classic
2005 Sunburst Yellow Screamin Eagle Electra Glide
2006 Cobalt Blue Street Glide
1998 Tangerine and birch Heritage Softail
and more Hondas than I can remember. 2
emmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #32 (permalink)
Turgid Member
 
Ratso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,245
Reading this thread made made me flash back to a person I used to know in WV who cut the seat belts out of his cars. He said "It ain't something most people would do but I ain't havin' me or my family trapped in a burning car and the seat belt not come undone".

Car tires are not meant to be or designed to be run on a motorcycle. They are flat and a bike needs a rounded tire for the bike to handle as designed. It's dangerous even if no one here has personally had an accident attributed to running car tire on their bike. I'm not taking that chance.

Car tire are designed to be run flat. NOT on their sidewalls. Observe... and these are slow easy corners.

Car Tire on a Goldwing.. rightside up! - YouTube
__________________
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Michigan
2012 FXDC "Big Blue Pearl"
2010 XL883L "Vivid Black"
Moisture free since 2011
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010
 
XL1200R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 7,457
Images: 38
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
Reading this thread made made me flash back to a person I used to know in WV who cut the seat belts out of his cars. He said "It ain't something most people would do but I ain't havin' me or my family trapped in a burning car and the seat belt not come undone".

Car tires are not meant to be or designed to be run on a motorcycle. They are flat and a bike needs a rounded tire for the bike to handle as designed. It's dangerous even if no one here has personally had an accident attributed to running car tire on their bike. I'm not taking that chance.

Car tire are designed to be run flat. NOT on their sidewalls. Observe... and these are slow easy corners.

Car Tire on a Goldwing.. rightside up! - YouTube
Now imagine it more on its sidewall, because any Harley has more lean angle then a wing
__________________
Link to my Youtube channel. All riding videos. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PittSteelers1345

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Badinfluence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: OH
Posts: 1,423
I had a steel-belted radial car tire on the rear of my 62 Pan for 18 years. Now granted, the engine, front end and trans were 62. The frame, rear wheel and brakes were 48E. I didn't carve corners dragging pegs n pipes. The front brakes [62] were horrible, the rear brakes [48] were very good, until hot, then would fade to horrible. The car tire would pitch the rear of the bike into a curve. I was used to it and it worked fine. I rode in heavy rain and snow, and it performed as expected and lasted forever. Now bikes have twice the horsepower, and great brakes. We expect more from them. We push them much harder. Can you run car tires on a bike, Yes. Will it perform differently, Yes. Will they last longer, Yes. Will you like them, Probably not. Like I said, I ran one for 18 years and I was happy with them. Would I try them on my 03 Softy, No. I push it a lot harder than the Pan.
Badinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
Earthbound misfit, I
 
Labradaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: East Texas/NW Louisiana
Posts: 2,387
Images: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by XL1200R View Post
Now imagine it more on its sidewall, because any Harley has more lean angle then a wing
Funny, I grind both sides of my Softail into the pavement and mine has never hit the sidewall.

News flash.....That doesn't happen.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------

Contemplating the silent freeway....
Labradaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
Turgid Member
 
Ratso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradaddy View Post
Funny, I grind both sides of my Softail into the pavement and mine has never hit the sidewall.

News flash.....That doesn't happen.
It won't happen if you run a motorcycle tire. Did you watch the video I posted above of the Goldwing with the car tire on it?
__________________
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Michigan
2012 FXDC "Big Blue Pearl"
2010 XL883L "Vivid Black"
Moisture free since 2011
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #37 (permalink)
Aaaaayyyyy
 
Monzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 744
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinfluence View Post
I had a steel-belted radial car tire on the rear of my 62 Pan for 18 years. Now granted, the engine, front end and trans were 62. The frame, rear wheel and brakes were 48E. I didn't carve corners dragging pegs n pipes. The front brakes [62] were horrible, the rear brakes [48] were very good, until hot, then would fade to horrible. The car tire would pitch the rear of the bike into a curve. I was used to it and it worked fine. I rode in heavy rain and snow, and it performed as expected and lasted forever. Now bikes have twice the horsepower, and great brakes. We expect more from them. We push them much harder. Can you run car tires on a bike, Yes. Will it perform differently, Yes. Will they last longer, Yes. Will you like them, Probably not. Like I said, I ran one for 18 years and I was happy with them. Would I try them on my 03 Softy, No. I push it a lot harder than the Pan.
Thanks for the in-depth reply! I'm still gathering data, and will probably decide whether or not to give it a try sometime this next spring or summer.
__________________
_____________
“You must never draw until you know how many are against you, or you've satisfied yourself that you can never know, or you've decided it's your day to die.”
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
Resist Tyranny
 
dozerhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: I.U.O.E. Local 9
Posts: 1,600
Garage
Most people who knock it have never tried it.

later, dozer

p.s. most people who have tried it don't knock it
dozerhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
2010hdultra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Princeton WV 24739
Posts: 4,229
I have a friend that runs a car tire on the back of 2 goldwings and a valkryie interstate. All are very heavy powerful bikes. He ussually pulls out with the front tire skipping the ground and takes curves scraping the floorboards. He has done this for years and has had no problem. But i still am not buying a car tire. It would dry rot in 3yrs anyway and thats about how often i put tires on mine.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
2010hdultra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Princeton WV 24739
Posts: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
It is interesting to me that the tire manufactures can not make a bike tire that gets similar mileage to a car tire at a reasonable price.

I understand bikes need a softer compound but my last rear only made it 3500 mile.

I tend to think the technology exists to make a 15 or 20 K tire but they are not produced in the interest of profit.

Ive been through 2set of the oem dunlops on a heavy ultra, 900lbs plus me and wife make total about 1400lbs, and both got me 13k. Michelin is claiming over 20k on the rear of their commander 2.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
This site is in no way affiliated with Harley-Davidson
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum