Car tires on a motorcycle? - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Wheels and Tires

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #41 (permalink)
Earthbound misfit, I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
It won't happen if you run a motorcycle tire. Did you watch the video I posted above of the Goldwing with the car tire on it?
Ratso, I've been Darksiding for the last 50K miles on my current Softail and the tire DOES NOT ever get on the sidewall.
There are many misconceptions about the practice.
And yes, I have seen just about every video out there.

Contemplating the silent freeway....
Labradaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #42 (permalink)

2014 Darkside a year and a half later!

BUMP!

yesterday I ordered a Pirelli Angel GT 160-60-18" for the front. it isn't a car tire but the rear tire for some metric bikes and will mount it in a week or so. The bike has 4K miles on it, tires too! the old 4k Dunlop will sit on the sideline just in case I'm not thrilled. on a skeptical point most say that this rear tire should be mounted 'backward' on the front rim, so the rotation arrow is pointed backwards when the wheel/tire is on the bike. ??? we'll see.

For the rear, I'm looking at the General 195-60-16 (car tire), have not ordered it at this time and may not get to the rear CT until I need new rubber there or this fatty up front gives me an uncontrollable woody from all the new found 'grippage', that it might get bought and changed sooner.
as some have said 'more rubber on the road', 'more braking', money has nothing to do with my decision, although the General tire is under a hundred dollars.

after reading the posts from 1.5 years ago, some of you are going to say I'm outta my mind, others will think 'sounds reasonable'.. do a forum search from your search engine see what others are saying/experiencing. most MC tires wear out 'in the middle', where they spend most of their time goin down the road on baggers for many. I'll come back with b4 & after pics.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #43 (permalink)

Anyone running a CT on a 09+ touring bike. Stock rear size is a 180/65/16. The stockers and American Elites i was happy with at 12.5k. But the last set of stockers only got me about 8k. Lookng for better mileage outa the rear. Dont do turns to hard, only scrape floorboards once in a while.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #44 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010hdultra View Post
Anyone running a CT on a 09+ touring bike. Stock rear size is a 180/65/16. The stockers and American Elites i was happy with at 12.5k. But the last set of stockers only got me about 8k. Lookng for better mileage outa the rear. Dont do turns to hard, only scrape floorboards once in a while.
Michelin Commander II

You can thank me later

PS. try them

PSS. No, really I mean it

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2014, 11:54 PM   #45 (permalink)

Garage
Just too strange to wrap my feeble brain around.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:52 AM   #46 (permalink)

Regardless of what people say. I don't think I would do it just cuz it doesn't seem safe to me.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:54 PM   #47 (permalink)
STAND AND FIGHT!

Motorcycle tires haven't always been rounded like you're intending to be a canyon carver.

All my rear tires on 71 & 75 superglides years ago had flat tread zones

and square shoulders just like a car tire. That said, there are youtube videos showing the tread contact zone

on a bike riding a car tire and it does not look good. Where I would expect a tire to roll under a bit to conform,

the square shoulder edges become the only contact with the road and the other edge lifts,

almost like the tire is over-inflated to exaggerate the stiffness.

I'd use car tires on a trike.

Some days you feel like TORQUE!
Some days you feel like HORSEPOWER!

Once you establish yourself as an eccentric,
you rarely have to explain your actions.

Something a guy at a HD parts counter told me 30 years ago,
"You know what I'd do with that bike if it was mine? RIDE IT! Nothin' else ."
Nathang is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #48 (permalink)

My take on car tires on a motorcycle, is; you pay 8000-40000 USD for a motorcycle, and you worry that a tire, designed for it costs too much, just doesn't make sense. If you can't afford the tires,(you can insert any part here), you can't afford to own the bike!
bobf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #49 (permalink)

I always wanted to put an old skool rear tire on the rat. Back when the rat was a Heritage, I got lazy once and took the whole bike to the HD dealer to get two new tires. It seems that if you only give them the wheel, they take forever.... so, I gave them the whole bike (something I N-E-V-E-R do, and won't ever do again), and told them to do the tires, bearings, alignment, etc..... well, they mixed the tires up, front to rear. Stock Dunlops, but the profile of the rear tire is far more of an elliptical shape and the front is a semi-circle profile.

The bike damn near killed me on the ride home. I'm confident that it was due to the odd shape of the FRONT tire, not the rear, but I learned a LOT about how the handling characteristics are dramatically different when the profile of the tire is changed.
DoctorD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
Dirty Member

Personally I think bikes should ride on bike tires.There is a specific reason why bike tires are shaped the way they are and that shape is not a car tire shape.
Car tires are not made to roll on their edges like a bike is forced to do in corners.
I dont run car oil in my bike either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.