Car tires on a motorcycle? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Wheels and Tires

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Aaaaayyyyy

Garage
Car tires on a motorcycle?

So, at the pub last night the conversation turned to tires and I mentioned that it's too bad you can't get the mileage out of a motorcycle tire that you can out of a car tire. Some folks in the group said that you can run a car tire for the scooter, if you get the right size and type. That the handling was kind of spotty going in fast sharp corners, but otherwise it worked well.

Now, to be sure, none of these folks had actually run a car tire on their motorcycle - but it did get me thinking, and doing a bit of research, which led me to this page:

Darkside Tire Info Center

With all kinds of information and a database with bike make/model and what car tire they are running. Also led me to a few YouTube videos which showed how the car tire behaves when being used. Cameras strapped to the underside of the bike, filming the tire on straightaways and turns etc. Of course, there isn't really a way to get a feel for how fast these people are going given the extremely limited view.

I have to admit with considering the idea. Paying 1/2 as much for a tire, and getting 4 to 5 times as many miles out of it; I think requires some research into the idea. I am not an aggressive rider. About 85% of my riding is done on a four-to-six lane super slab. When not on the slab, I do like to take it nice, easy and slow and just enjoy the ride. To be clear, I would consider a car tire only for the rear wheel. I don't see any reason to put one on the front as it seems to last oodles longer than the rear already (21K on the one I have now and the tread looks almost new).

I know that the good people in this forum have given in the past exceptional and spot-on advice. So I thought it would do good to get some input from the good folks here.

Apologies if this has been discussed, but I looked through the 144 threads that popped up in search when I entered "car tires" and did not find any that discussed car tires (go figure!).
Old 10-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

This one seemed relevant...

car tires?

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Interesting...

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Vaya con Dios, Rick "Rubberdown" Massey ~ May you rest in eternal peace
Mongo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Aaaaayyyyy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by misinlink View Post
This one seemed relevant...

car tires?
well, why the eff did that not come up in MY search? Crap.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

It's all good Monzie...

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

I have mixed feelings........like when climbing the rope in Gym class.

Will only work on bikes with a 150mm or wider rear tire, as no brands make a narrow enough 16" tire.

Guys get 25-30K mileage.

I'd love to ride one, to make a firsthand handling decision.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Aaaaayyyyy

Garage
Alright, well, I read though the other thread that misinlink provided (g'bye lunch hour!). For the price of a tire, and if I can find someone to mount it, I think I'm gonna give it a try. I feel it will be worth the money just to see what it's like. If I can find a tire that will fit - I suppose the forum at the Darkside site I linked to might have an answer for me.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Resist Tyranny

Garage
I have been wanting to point out for a long time that "going over to the darkside" meant running a car tire not buying a bagger!

later, dozer

p.s. been there
p.p.s. done that
p.p.p.s. no complaints
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JY02_005.JPG (51.5 KB, 62 views)
dozerhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think it's great or saving a few extra dollars but I just don't think I could make that gamble due to safety reasons alone. Yeah a bike tire is a little more pricey and you don't get as many miles out of it but as much as I save in gas alone by riding I'm still coming out ahead. This is one of those things that I just won't personally risk when there's only two pieces of rubber keeping me from smashing my face into concrete in a big curve at 70 mph. To each his own though.
BlacklineGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

I may be talking apples and oranges but I rode a back tire that was pretty damn flat... major rider ridge. So it was flat like a car tire would be. The bike would actually fight me going into a turn or curve. Once I put new skins on it, was like night and day handling wise. After experiencing that, I'd never use a car tire. Just sayin.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote