Sealing spoke wheels - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Wheels and Tires

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Sealing spoke wheels

I was just wondering if anyone has sealed their OEM Harley spoked wheels to take tubeless tires?

I have an '04 RKC and am considering sealing the wheels so I can plug-n-play if necessary. There are a number of different methods that seem to work, and I am planning a few long trips. The tubes are making me nervous. I haven't really found any cost-effective wheel replacements.

Opinions?
alii1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

It can, and has been done. 2 tubes of silicone and a good drying time, and then applying a permanant valve stem.

The problem inlies that a tube rim, is not the same as a tubeless rim, in that it lacks the safety rib that prevents the tire from dismounting, when air pressure gets low.

It will also take a fair amount of weights to balance due to the inconsistent amounts (areas) of silicone that it takes to seal the spoke nipples.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
. . .The tubes are making me nervous. . . .
What are your concerns about tubes? I have ran tubed tires on MC (on and off road) for more than 30 years and have never experienced any problems directly related to the tubes.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
So let's say you run over something on one of your trips and a chunk of the tire (inner tread or sidewall) comes off but the tube inside stays intact... You can at least still get the bike down the road to a service shop and get it replaced.

Now let's say that you have a tubeless tire and the same thing happens... Your tire goes flat and you are stranded or it blows out completely and you have an accident...

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
So let's say you run over something on one of your trips and a chunk of the tire (inner tread or sidewall) comes off but the tube inside stays intact... You can at least still get the bike down the road to a service shop and get it replaced.

Now let's say that you have a tubeless tire and the same thing happens... Your tire goes flat and you are stranded or it blows out completely and you have an accident...

-Rohan
If it only worked that way, Rohan.

Tubeless tires will go flat. If it's a nail, it can be removed, plugged as a temporary fix, and filled and ridden home.

When a tube tire fails, even riding on it a short distance, the tire can and usually does spin on the rim, and it tears the stem out almost immediately.

Personally, I have no beefs with tube tires. I probably put about 100K on tube tires. Changing them takes special care and pre-inflating them and then setting the tube before final inflation needs to be done, to make sure the tube isn't twisted or pinched.

These days, face it...... If you get a flat on the road, there's few cases where you're gonna NOT have to be trailered. Finding a nail in a low tire is one thing. Once a tubeless tire pops off the bead on the rim, you're not going to seat that without a compressor.....

Trailer time.

If it's a rear tire on a bagger.......

Trailer time.

If it's a 21" tire on a Softail or XL..... You almost need a machine and especially with a tube.

Trailer time.

Accident....

Ambulance time......followed by trailer time.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Lean something new everyday.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote