Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum - View Single Post - Another Close Call and idot police dispatcher
View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:00 PM
uncas

A few years ago I was bitten by a pit bull while waking across my own front yard. He ripped the seat out of my pants and bit me on the leg, leaving a few puncture wounds. Fortunately, I managed to get in the house and call the sheriff's department. In the spirit of being a good neighbor, I didn't press charges against the owner, who lived across the street and down a couple of houses. Animal Control had a talk with the owner and the matter was considered settled. Two months later, I was walking my elderly dog nearly half a mile away and the same pit bull attacked my dog. A neighbor distracted the pit bull and allowed us to get into his house. Once again I called the sheriff's department. The deputy explained that since my dog wasn't seriously injured, all he could cite the owner for was allowing his dog to run at large. So I asked the deputy what I should do long term. He asked if I held a concealed weapons permit, which I did. Since I lived in the county, and not in any city limits, he recommended I arm myself. He said that after two documented attacks, if I shot the dog, no one in law enforcement would give me slightest grief. From then on, I carried my 9mm while on walks, though I never again was troubled by the dog. The county finally declared the dog a nuisance and the neighbor moved to avoid the unaffordable homeowners insurance. Good riddance.

-Mike-

Metalflake Blue/Black 2013 FLHTCU

"If you're gonna be stupid,
you gotta be tough"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome