Harley Davidson Forums banner

trouble with tunning

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  SCHMIDTY 
#1 ·
hi guys and gals. ok im new to the harley world. but i picked up an 2002 sportster 883 custom it did have aftermarket pipes and i did the oil and primary oil changes and new plugs old ones looked real good i don't think any thing has been done to it. only 7k on miles was very cold natured and spitting back on the carb. so i cleaned the carb drilled the plug to tune the idle jet carb was pretty gummy. tuned it after a good warm up ride and still cold natured and even after a good ride if i stopped for just a short time it would be ruff start. it started right up but didn't want to stay running. and the cold start was like it only hitting on one cylinder part of the time got better as it warmed up. but had a bad hesitation if you hit the throttle. so was thonking air or vacuum leak. so i did complete carb vacuum piston wich did have a split. accelerator pump kit rejeted with the vortex tube and 45/175 jets and screaming eagle air filter and replaced the intake manifold seals wich had some bad spots on them. and new vacuum/fuel lines. and still the same problem the bike runs out great. I'm lost. what am i missing. oh and thanks for the forum

#11 ·
Remove the 'points' cover and look at the ignition module, if it looks like it's melted it's junk. The 'ignition' module is also called the cam sensor. Common problem on those Harleys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.