not sure what im dealing with- my 1st bike.... Iron Head Sportster? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

not sure what im dealing with- my 1st bike.... Iron Head Sportster?

Hey so i was wondering if anyone knows how to convert a electronic ignition back to points? Is it easy? Would you recommend doing it?
**Also the electronic pickup is burnt the hell out [the moron before we had it wired it wrong, actually horribly wrong] anyways it says DynaS on the side.... does it HAVE to be a dynaS or is there a more generic brand for that?
Wed appreciate any questions/answers/comments/advice/input. Ok idk if i worded the 2nd (**) paragraph correctly. Ill double check with the old man& fix it if i need too. Thanks

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:51 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
I would stick with the DynaS. The DynaS is a reliable ignition system when wired correctly and it's less expensive than most other ignitions.
beckyraye likes this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTY View Post
I would stick with the DynaS. The DynaS is a reliable ignition system when wired correctly and it's less expensive than most other ignitions.
Thank you... the guy we bought it from said he rode it into the trailer&when he got it on it fell over... hes def. Not a mechanic (or a smart person)... thanks i wasnt quite sure if it HAD to be a Dyna S- because if somewhere else had another alternative in stock we wanted to at least try it and see how she sounds...all the bike shops where were at would have to order the DynaS- itd only take 5-7days to get in , but thats 5-7 days we want to be out riding, since its FINALLY warm enough.
Thanks again

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:01 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Crane Hi-4 and Daytona Twin Tech ignitions but they're more bucks !
You need to figure out if the bike has the advance weight plate removed or not too. Some electronic ignitions require them and others not.
Also if it's setup as single or dual fire.
beckyraye likes this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTY View Post
Crane Hi-4 and Daytona Twin Tech ignitions but they're more bucks !
You need to figure out if the bike has the advance weight plate removed or not too. Some electronic ignitions require them and others not.
Thanks I'll make sure he checks that out

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 AM
Proud Infidel

It's an unwritten law you must post pics of shovelheads immediately after receiving help.😀

I'm just here for the beer.

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.
Salman Rushdie
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Employed

X2^
beckyraye likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:29 AM
Employed

Well Beckyraye, not only do you not have pics, there is zero info about you on your profile. Are you in a government witness protection program? Got something to hide? Embarrassed to show and tell? Hey we like pics and info for clarity. Don't be shy, open up and tell us a little about yourself. And most important pics of said Shovelhead. I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok so according to the VIN #S: The Frame is a '76 Shovel and The Motor is a '74 Shovel.. so according to myself i dont really have a clue what im dealing with because this is my 1st bike that I get to fix,customize, and is mine. So any help, tips ,and tricks would be awesome and amazing! Also thanks for your patience and bearing with me!

singlebeam likes this.

Last edited by beckyraye; 04-29-2018 at 01:55 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 07:12 PM

Garage
That is an Ironhead Sportster
Kainam likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode