Tips to sell - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Tips to sell

Well I might be selling my 2013 CVO Break Out in a few months. I never really sold one so looking for tips to get the best coin. What sites do you guys typically use, and any other tips will be appreciated. I plan to sell it for around Blue Book. Thanks!

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:05 PM

I use Craigslist. Have both bought and sold bikes. Craigslist is free and you can alter or delete your ad any time you want. You can take a few pics, write your ad and have it on Craigslist in maybe 15 minutes.

Yes, you may have to deal with a couple of idiots, no big deal. And besides having interested persons contact you through Craigslist email I also list a cell number, lots of folks do a lot of texting these days. Besides a few good pics, the more info you can put in your ad the better, will save you time answering the obvious questions. And this forum has had discussions regarding how folks feel about allowing test rides--I'm in the category that it is highly unlikely I would allow a test ride but if a prospective buyer wants to make sure it runs, shifts, brakes OK they can ride as a passenger for a couple of miles.

Craigslist has a policy of one ad in one location. But when I am really bored sometimes I look at their bike ads and besides here in Louisville I may also look at their ads in other cities. I see a LOT of bikes advertised in more than one location. It appears that if you alter the title of your ad even a little bit they won't pick up the same bike listed in a different location or two.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:44 PM
JLR

Quote:
It appears that if you alter the title of your ad even a little bit they won't pick up the same bike listed in a different location or two.

That is correct

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematicic View Post
Well I might be selling my 2013 CVO Break Out in a few months. I never really sold one so looking for tips to get the best coin. What sites do you guys typically use, and any other tips will be appreciated. I plan to sell it for around Blue Book. Thanks!

Then...... what do we get to help you buy?

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Race Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:31 PM
Old Skool

Garage
Check NADA for Price, it's what the Insurance Companies use. It will have a Retail Price, what you would expect to pay at a Dealer. +1 for Craigslist, I've sold 2 Bikes on there, No Hassle's.
ematicic likes this.

I may be Old but I Refuse to Grow Up.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpassh2o View Post
Quote:

Then...... what do we get to help you buy?
You guys might vote me off the island when I tell you what I just put a down payment on.

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:36 PM
Quote:
You guys might vote me off the island when I tell you what I just put a down payment on.
Vespa? Touring model......

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Race Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:04 AM
Guitar NOT Gator

Also try Facebook Marketplace. I am having less flaky people going through there, because you see their real name and profile. Weeds out the scammers a little better.

When pricing, I use KBB, NADA, craigslist and cycletrader to get comparative values.
ematicic, 421Tripower and 3beards like this.

2016 Ultra Limited
2004 Softail Springer
1993 Dyna Low Rider
1983 FLHT

200,000 HOG Miles
IBA Member since 3/31/12
Proud member of the NTC (North Texas Crew)

http://www.ravenswaymusic.com - the new band!
http://www.doolinband.com - the old band!

Dr. Rick "Superman" Doolin 1970-2014. Miss you bro.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 AM
Trashy Member

I have sold bikes on both Craigslist and eBay. A whole bunch of scammers out there. Be very careful. Also you may try Cycle Exchange. Good luck.
ematicic likes this.

Bunch of bikes all sold
Who knows what is next!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I got a chance to snag one of the Triumph Rocket3 TFCs. My wife is letting me keep both for a bit, it won't be here until 2020. But one will have to go. My ESP runs out on my Break Out this summer after the Collision so I will have a tough choice ahead.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode