FXR vs Dyna - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

FXR vs Dyna

Iv heard the FXR is a much better bike then the Dyna...
What's the scoop?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Acta Non Verba

The difference is an extra motor mount on the FXR, makes those bikes ride smooth like a touring model. The current Dyna models have some vibes here and there. But, they also have many modern features and a double handful more displacement.

You decide.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Garage
The FXR has been touted as the best handling big twin ever produced.
The frame and engine mounting is different (more rigid) than the Dyna.
Some of the detractors claimed the exposed frame rails made the bike look too "Japanese", it was more costly to assemble at the factory than the Dyna. Like everything else Harley, it's much debated.

I ride like an old guy that wants to get older.

Pete / Breeze .380

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:47 PM
I {Heart} Hookers.

The FXR has a limited rear rubbering system with partial frame mounted swingarm pivots.

Dyna is pure rubber mount, through trans housing.

FXR has a lower center of gravity, and a more rigid frame with triangulation, designed by Eric Buell......name should ring a bell.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012

"Your Jedi Mind tricks will not work on me...... ~Misinlink-2016~

2005 E.G. Classic
S&S 510 cams
Baisley Oil pump spring
CYCO tensioners
V&H Fuelpak
SE 3.5" pipes
K&N filter
Fueling lifters
S&S adj pushrods
Swingarm stabilizer
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasRJ View Post
Iv heard the FXR is a much better bike then the Dyna...
What's the scoop?

Depends on what you think of as better...

From a handling perspective the FXR is better in most categories (better lean angles, ground clearance, stiffer frame....)

That being said they are much less powerful stock, don't have an overdrive transmission, no fuel injection (which is both an advantage or disadvantage depends on the person's opinion) and are older now which presents its own issues.

What it comes down to is what do you value in a bike.

If you want to carve corners and tear up the road then the FXR is the bike for that properly equipped.

If you want to cruise all day on the highway and go fast in a straight line than the dyna is the bike for that...

All this being said, they are very similar in alot of ways. I don't want to make it sound like a dyna is useless in the corners and that an FXR sucks on the highway...because neither is true I am meerly pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of both bikes in comparison.

As far as reliability goes I would say they are about equal. The 88ci dynas can have cam chain tensioner issues and the early evo motors in the FXRs can have base gasket problems and some bearing problems..I think.

Both lines were refined by the middle of their runs (07 for dyna) and (87 or so for the FXR) to where they were/are both reliable and great bikes.

Personally given the choice I would choose an FXR every time. They Just speak to me. That being said I ride the next closest thing to an FXR IMO so I have a bit of bias in that statement.

there is no perfect bike for anyone,,,choose wisely and make sure ya love whatever you buy. Ride on!!

Edit: what the heck, I start writing with no responses and by the time I finish three people beat me to it hehehe

Link to my Youtube channel. All riding videos. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/user/PittSteelers1345

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:00 PM

Ah , let me count the ways ................My 1988 FXR Low Rider bought new was and still is the best all around Harley ever built . That cycle could do it all !
Like the man said , best Harley the MOCO ever built ...period ! ( Looks aside )
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, I have a 05 Dyna, I like the power and looks better but just wanted to know the diff between bikes.
Thanks again!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 11:38 PM

My '85 FXRS was my favorite all-time bike... 9 happy years on that bike with no problems. It was smooth, fast enough, comfortable and best of all it ran on (leaded) 87 octane... It survived going down on a snowy road, a rain-slick railroad crossing, and somebody backing over it in a parking lot (it took a few hours to straighten things up after that little mishap).

It was a low glide and had little tolerance for hard cornering. I learned to slow down pretty quick! Memories of my FXR morphed into my 09 FXDC I bought this Spring. The FXDC's a different ride - shakes more, goes faster, uses 91 octane, handles better (more clearance), and weighs more, I think a lot more... That said, I couldn't be happier
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 06:35 AM

If I came across an old fxr shovel I'm not sure I could resist, it wouldn't be for the main ride but would be a lot of fun to play with. I really like an EVO to so I guess any nice fxr might work for me. I had a 1985 fxr sp that I bought new, paid 5 grand out the door for that bike. I traded that bike for a 1990 softail custom which was probably the best looking bike I've ever owned but the fxr sp was a better bike.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 02:59 PM

I currently have a 2000 Dyna that has Progressive front springs, 444s out back and Sputhe Stabilizer.

Dyna's have better brakes, stronger motor, digital dash and tach, bigger tank.
FXR has the stiffer frame and Evo. Most are fairly worn out and need a couple grand put into them to make them really solid. Evo may be getting hard to find parts for.

My question would be how does an upgraded Dyna with the Sputhe and suspension compare to an FXR? I may buy an FXR next weekend and will keep both for a while if I do and will make a decent comparison.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode