Rear end clunk after motor mount replacement - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Rear end clunk after motor mount replacement

Hey everyone. Im wondering if anyone could lend some insight to a problem ive never experienced. 04 FXDX had some vibration between 1k and 2k rpm, and a bit of high speed wobble, so after rebuilding the front end, setting fall away, and replacing front mount, the vibration and wobble was still there, so i replaced the rear. Vibration gone. However, when i use the rear brake, there is sort of a clunk clunk clunk that i can feel more than hear. So here i am, doing alignment and trying to find the trouble. As you can see, ive got it all set up. And with the digital at just .1 degree, and the dial at 90, the bolt in the top link is aligned with its hole. Ive also loosened the front and rear mounts and the top link and idled the motor 30 seconds with the bike on the ground. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1012191608_HDR_1570916071708.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	6.05 MB
ID:	762411  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:38 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
I had something similar with a Dyna a few years back. Found a battery terminal bolt wedged between the swingarm and trans housing.
JLR likes this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Ive checked for binding and foreign objects everywhere, and i cannot seem to find anything with any marks on it from contact. One thing i noticed today was that if i put my hand on the side of the fuel tank when applying the rear brake, i can feel the clunking in the tank, but once again, nothing i can see that could be touching anything. Another thing is that the clunk doesnt seem to occur unless im applying the brake at speeds of 20 mph or less.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Check that the tank mounting bolts are tight.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Both front and rear tank mounting bolts are tight. Id say that its got to be the rear mount touching the frame and Im just able to feel it in the tank, I just cannot see any evidence of anything touching- no marks anywhere. And WHY something is touching is the question. New mounts, front and rear.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:06 AM
Old Skool

Garage
Check the Caliper and Rotor.

I may be Old but I Refuse to Grow Up.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:41 PM
JLR

After replacing the front and rear mounts did you check the clearances between the engine and frame and gas tank as shown in the repair manual? These weren't some super whizzbang, better than stock mounts were they??

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Ive never seen anything in the manual in reference to frame clearance, however, before replacing the front mount, the exhaust on the front cylinder had perhaps .125" clearance between the headpipe and down tube, which itself was indicative of a tired mount. After replacement, the motor sits further away, and about the same distance as the other bikes. The mounts themselves are just Hard drive brand OE style replacements, Ive used em on a few Dynas without trouble, though Im not against checking em out. Ive got another used, but perhaps okay rear mount, and maybe Ill throw it on there to see if there is any difference. Regarding the rear caliper and rotor, I cannot find anything wrong with those.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

I do believe ive found the source of the clunking. The Supertrapp exhaust i got with this bike had no rear support bracketry, so i made my own. I can only assume that the bracket is much closer to the reservoir now that the mounts have moved the motor further back. I will take off the bracket and see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1014191743_1571093156727.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	5.88 MB
ID:	762557  

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Nevermind, i took off that bracket and the problem persisted, so i put a different oe rear mount on, and the problem is now gone, and the bike still vibrates less than it did with its original mount. The new mount is just too soft.
JLR likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode