Street Bob 2013 Wont Start - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm9278 View Post
Yes, you should hear the pump run for 3 seconds if it's getting power. There are a number of how to videos on YouTube that will give you an idea of how to go about it.
It's possible that the wiring in the tank got tangled up with that hose twisting around, so make sure the pump is the problem before you buy one.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk
Ok, Im heading to the garage right now to tear apart everything. Once I take the pump out, is it a good idea to try feeding it by a separate power (directly from car battery) in order to see if its gonna work? Is it have to be sinked in gasoline to engage? What's the most reliable method of testing the pump, outside the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:56 PM
South GA Redneck

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geter712 View Post
Ok, Im heading to the garage right now to tear apart everything. Once I take the pump out, is it a good idea to try feeding it by a separate power (directly from car battery) in order to see if its gonna work? Is it have to be sinked in gasoline to engage? What's the most reliable method of testing the pump, outside the tank?

Put it in a small container of gas and give it 12v. Doesnt have to be fully submerged. Watch you eyes though!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 03:57 PM
Retired citizen

Garage
Just jump the pump fuse to see if the pump runs. No need to take the pump out of the tank !

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:14 PM

[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTY View Post
Just jump the pump fuse to see if the pump runs. No need to take the pump out of the tank !
Schmidty, he says he has power at the tank connector, so the issue has to be inside the tank. He also says he drained the tank by unscrewing the check valve, so he's gonna have to check the lines anyway.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerboy View Post
Put it in a small container of gas and give it 12v. Doesnt have to be fully submerged. Watch you eyes though!!

Not necessary to have it in fuel for a test, not to mention dangerous. Just hit it with 12 volts. No fuel.

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
The fuel pump only runs for 3 seconds until the engine starts and most of the time I gotta have my ear against the tank to hear the pump run ! I mean, the fuel pumps aren't supposed to make a lotta noise, ya know ?
If ya want to hear the pump run just jump the pump fuse to B+. Pull the fuse and apply B+ to the fuse receptacle !

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:37 AM
South GA Redneck

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm9278 View Post
Not necessary to have it in fuel for a test, not to mention dangerous. Just hit it with 12 volts. No fuel.

But how would you know if its actually pumping fuel if you dont have any fuel for it to pump. I have seen several times where pumps would run but wouldnt move any fluid. No more danger putting it in fluid and testing it. Its designed to be submerged in fuel during its normal use. I would recommend not smoking the cheeba while doing the test though...

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggerboy View Post
But how would you know if its actually pumping fuel if you dont have any fuel for it to pump. I have seen several times where pumps would run but wouldnt move any fluid. No more danger putting it in fluid and testing it. Its designed to be submerged in fuel during its normal use. I would recommend not smoking the cheeba while doing the test though...

I might be inclined to do it your way, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. It's one thing if I blow myself up, quite another if I'm responsible for doing it to someone else. Just sayin'.....

Besides, he can't hear it run, so if it ain't running, it ain't pumpin', in fuel or not.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Mystery solved. Fuel pump was dead, but... Not completely. I've pulled it out (damn plastic assembly with pump&filter was so hard to pull out ) and voila! Pump won't spin the motor when being fed with power directly, but it was making sound like electric motor is trying to spin the rotor but it stuck. So the problem was detected and the only reasonable solution was to click on "buy now" and wait for eternity for package to arrive since I'm ordering from Serbia and shipping time is usually about a month from US or UK... So I decided to fix it. I've carefully stretched the bended pump sheet which holds the cover plate with intake hole (part which goes to strainer). It was pretty hard to stretch the sheet all around in circle, without hardly damaging the edge but at the end I've managed to make it flat like it was before bending. Then I've pulled out everything for inspection. As I suspected, the main plastic rotor with fins was stuck to upper plastic part which it sits in. It was practically glued! At the end I've managed to separate those and cleaned everything. It was pretty hard to combine all parts and return them to housing and since I didn't know the catch... I've spent about 6 hours with this The problem was because each time I tried to put the plastic parts in housing, they stuck, so to pull everything out again, I was making motion movements until those come out. At one moment, electronic motor parts at the bottom went out and it was one of the most difficult tasks in my live, to put those all back Anyway I've managed to put back everything, and to bend the sheet again, almost like it was before. Pump now works like the one which would arrive a month after clicking on "buy now"

PS One more thing to mention... The local HD stealership in Serbia literally describes the "steal" part of the word. They were about to rip me off for about $400 for the pump! And the most annoying moment during the phone call was when I realized that they don't even have the god damn thing! They were about to order from US and the part would be there in about two months!
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:36 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
J&P Cycles has the fuel pump, cost about $60.00 U.S.. I'm pretty sure J&P's ships international too.
tekslk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode