Street Bob 2013 Wont Start - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Street Bob 2013 Wont Start

Hello! I have a problem with Street Bob 2013. Bike was ridden only couple of times since it was purchased, has only 3000km. It was sitting in dry, heated garage for the last two years. Wasn't cranked even once, but the battery was plugged in HD charging station all the time. When we opened the garage, I expected it to crank without problems but it didn't. First of all, battery was pretty weak, cranking was possible for a couple of times, but it didn't start and then it wasn't able to crank any more. I guess charging station didn't do the job well... Anyway cranking sucked all remaining juice from the battery and when I measured the voltage (when bike was turned off) it says 11.3... So I tried to jump start the bike using cables from my car, but that didn't help. It cranks great, multimeter measured about 13-14v when my car engine is running, but bike won't start. I checked all three fuses (two small and one big) and they are fine (even tried to spray them with contact spray).

The first thing I suspected was a fuel pump, since I'm unable to hear it priming when I turn the switch to IGN. So I disconnected the quck-release hose from the fuel tank and turned the switch to IGN, expecting it to squirt the fuel from tank, but it didn't happen. Then I disconnected the fuel pump connector in order to check if it gets the voltage but when I turn the switch to IGN, the orange and black wires (thick black version on the side) get the electricity for only 3 seconds and it shuts off. I guess this would be normal if fuel pressure was fine, but since I tried this with fuel hose disconnected... I doubt that something else's wrong since I guess it should feed the electricity until it detects pressure.

I don't have experience with modern, fuel injected bikes, so please advise. I've run the diag and went through all modes. Here are the results, along with explanations I've found on the internet:

B2116 - Fuel Pump Output Open
B2119 - Fuel Pump Overload
B2151 - Rear turn signal output open
B2156 - Right Rear Turn Signal Output Open
B1211 - Fuel Sender Shorted High / Open

It is definitely something with fuel supply, but these related to turn signals don't make any sense since the turn signals works fine. Everything else on the bike works normally.

PS Important to mention... Bike has ABS and HD security with buttonless fob. The fob battery was replaced two years ago and I suspected that it might be the problem but it disarms the alarm once the fob approaches the bike... So I guess it can't be related to weak fob battery, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:19 PM

Did you drain and replace with fresh fuel?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:36 PM

Ok, here is what you need to know,
1) the fuel pump will get power for 3 seconds at key on. Then shut off unless engine is running.
If your not hearing the pump run for 3 seconds at key on, and you have power at the connection to the pump, the pump is caput.
2) fuel will not flow out of the fitting on the bottom of the tank without the elbow fitting inserted. It has a shutoff / check valve function.

From the codes you are getting, I'd check the wiring to the fuel tank for rodent damage. Seems like they may have chewed thru some insulation, or you have a pinched wire there, or the pump motor is shorted.

As another note, did you pull codes before disconnecting stuff? If you didn't, then disregard the codes, hook everything back up, clear the codes and try to start it again. If it throws codes again, go from there.

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 PM
Old Skool

Garage
Wha Norm↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ said.

I may be Old but I Refuse to Grow Up.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irondog View Post
Did you drain and replace with fresh fuel?
Yeah, that was the first thing to do. Drained everything by unscrewing hose holder beneath the tank
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm9278 View Post
Ok, here is what you need to know,
1) the fuel pump will get power for 3 seconds at key on. Then shut off unless engine is running.
If your not hearing the pump run for 3 seconds at key on, and you have power at the connection to the pump, the pump is caput.
2) fuel will not flow out of the fitting on the bottom of the tank without the elbow fitting inserted. It has a shutoff / check valve function.

From the codes you are getting, I'd check the wiring to the fuel tank for rodent damage. Seems like they may have chewed thru some insulation, or you have a pinched wire there, or the pump motor is shorted.

As another note, did you pull codes before disconnecting stuff? If you didn't, then disregard the codes, hook everything back up, clear the codes and try to start it again. If it throws codes again, go from there.

Very useful info, thanks! From what youre saying, it looks like the pump is dead. Although it is hard for me to believe that HD makes such a weak parts I mean it is basically a new bike. A friend of mine bought it and took it for a longer ride only once. And I know how he treats new bike... like a baby

Anyway, I'm gonna take out the pump and I need you guys to tell me if there's some method to test the pump once its outside, just to make sure before clicking the damn "buy now" button
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geter712 View Post
Very useful info, thanks! From what youre saying, it looks like the pump is dead. Although it is hard for me to believe that HD makes such a weak parts I mean it is basically a new bike. A friend of mine bought it and took it for a longer ride only once. And I know how he treats new bike... like a baby

Anyway, I'm gonna take out the pump and I need you guys to tell me if there's some method to test the pump once its outside, just to make sure before clicking the damn "buy now" button
Jump starting isn't going to cure a dead battery. My bet is the bike will start if it has a good battery in it. Battery should measure 12.8 volts static.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:31 AM

Before you start tearing into the bike, do some basic troubleshooting. Your money will be better spent on a Service Manual, or you're gonna end up replacing good parts.
First check your fuses. There are more than 3 fuses on that bike. You haven't found a fuse block. Look behind the side covers and under the seat, under the dash.
Check for power at the fuel tank connector under the dash at key on. Will only have power for 3 seconds when you turn on the key switch. If you don't get power at key on, replacing the pump won't help you.
Charge and test the battery. Make sure you have good power to crank. Jumping the battery is hit or miss.
If you drained the fuel tank by removing the check valve (the chrome connector under the tank that the fuel line connects to) without disconnecting the internal fuel line that could be your problem. That check valve has a thin wall hose attached inside the tank. If you unscrewed it from the tank you probably tore that hose, which will cause a no fuel pressure situation and no start.

You said
"Yeah, that was the first thing to do. Drained everything by unscrewing hose holder beneath the tank"

This is likely your problem.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm9278 View Post
Before you start tearing into the bike, do some basic troubleshooting. Your money will be better spent on a Service Manual, or you're gonna end up replacing good parts.
First check your fuses. There are more than 3 fuses on that bike. You haven't found a fuse block. Look behind the side covers and under the seat, under the dash.
Check for power at the fuel tank connector under the dash at key on. Will only have power for 3 seconds when you turn on the key switch. If you don't get power at key on, replacing the pump won't help you.
Charge and test the battery. Make sure you have good power to crank. Jumping the battery is hit or miss.
If you drained the fuel tank by removing the check valve (the chrome connector under the tank that the fuel line connects to) without disconnecting the internal fuel line that could be your problem. That check valve has a thin wall hose attached inside the tank. If you unscrewed it from the tank you probably tore that hose, which will cause a no fuel pressure situation and no start.

You said
"Yeah, that was the first thing to do. Drained everything by unscrewing hose holder beneath the tank"

This is likely your problem.

Wow, looks like I made a big mistake by unscrewing the damn valve. I was led by previous experience with carb bikes. Ok the damage is probably done to the hose but that doesn't change the fact that I tried cranking many times and never heard the bloody pump working. The power on orange/black wires within the pump connector (under the dash) shows power for 3 secs. I guess the pump should engage if it gets power, right? I guess the next step is to take out the dash, along with tank cover to see whats going on inside and to try to fix the hose you mentioned
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geter712 View Post
Wow, looks like I made a big mistake by unscrewing the damn valve. I was led by previous experience with carb bikes. Ok the damage is probably done to the hose but that doesn't change the fact that I tried cranking many times and never heard the bloody pump working. The power on orange/black wires within the pump connector (under the dash) shows power for 3 secs. I guess the pump should engage if it gets power, right? I guess the next step is to take out the dash, along with tank cover to see whats going on inside and to try to fix the hose you mentioned
Yes, you should hear the pump run for 3 seconds if it's getting power. There are a number of how to videos on YouTube that will give you an idea of how to go about it.
It's possible that the wiring in the tank got tangled up with that hose twisting around, so make sure the pump is the problem before you buy one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode