New Battery still no start - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

New Battery still no start

Had my 97 FXDWG in storage for about 9 months. Charged old battery got about 40 mins of riding and died after I tried to start it after a stop to eat. So I put a brand new battery in and I still cant get her to turn over. Battery caables arent new but there isnt any sign of wear or rust. There could have been a little gas left over in the carb but Ive ready rode it with that being the case? How can I test if its the starter or something related? Or does a reclean of a carb that was rebuilt less than 400 miles sound like a good place to start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 11:49 AM
Proud Infidel

Start by telling us the symptoms. Carbs and electrical are 2 totally different critters.

Sent from here to there.

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.
Salman Rushdie
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Well to go back to the beginning. Had a bad voltage regulator that drained the original battery. I just kept taking the battery off after every ride and putting it on the charger. Back in November I had knee surgery and had it in a garage. Didnt have a chance to drain gas or hook it up to a tender or charger. Fast forward 9 months later, I pull the battery and charge it, drain the gas and replace. Fires up after a crank or 2. Rode for a few mins and parked it. Hasnt started since. New battery caused the same result of no turnover. Just that almost wanting to catch sound. Odd shit thats happened since is my Neutral and right dash lights dont light. Replaced bulbs and checked for pinched wires.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:27 PM
South GA Redneck

Garage
By turn over do you mean the engine wont spin or it will spin but not fire? If it wont spin, carb isnt part of this problem. Check and clean both ends of battery cables. If the battery is good and youre not getting any dash lights, I would suspect a loose or bad/corroded connection somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SilverFatBoy and Central joe like this.
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:37 PM

Garage
Did the bad voltage regulator get replaced?
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Yes replaced regulator before i had surgery
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:08 PM

Put a meter on battery then hit start button. If nothing happens could be button. If voltage in battery suddenly drops and nothing happens. Have issue with starter or its solenoid.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:16 PM

Garage
when you drained the gas , how did it look? ,any debris , did it smell old?
Did you check out the inside of the tank or clean the petcock filter?
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Ive had some chips in the tank before. I tried the apple cider vineger in the tank and let it sit for 2 days. I still saw some smaller flakes when I drained it. I installed new fuel filter back then. But I def had some debris in the tank, but this was before the problem with battery. I would get kind of a little lady fart occasionally when I opened the throttle. Think of the sound that would be made if you had piece of popcorn kernel in your mouth and you lightly spit it out.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:33 AM

It takes two things to start.
One it takes fuel, make sure the fuel is getting down to the engine.
Second it takes spark, pull a plug and see if you have spark when you turn it over by grounding the plug to the engine. Then report back to us.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in