A stupid headlight question - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By maritimesbob
  • 2 Post By SCHMIDTY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

A stupid headlight question

I have a 2000 Sportster 883 XLH with a non-working headlight. The daytime light (the little 5w as it's Europeam) light comes on, but the H4 bulb doesn't work. I have changed the bulb for a new one, still the same.

Should the headlamp illuminate when the ignition is turned on, or only when the is engine running? Previous bikes I've owned where the headlamp only works when the bike is running.

Anyways, this will help me diagnose the problem with a volt meter. With the key turned to on, I get zero through the three pronged plug going into the H4 bulb. Next stop, the switch itself?

Between the switch and the headlamp, is there a plug or does the harness from this switch split somewhere behind the lamp unit?

Which colour is the hi and lo beam wires going into the plug?

THanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like a fuse issue. The lights normally come on with just the ignition on, or to accessory.

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I meant to say, all other lights are working. I was unsure, but these bikes only have one fuse that is for all lights? Guess I will check for a headlamp fuse later when I escape from work.

Thanks for your help

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:15 PM

If the fuse is good.... check the condition off the bulb connector. They have been know to fail.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf View Post
If the fuse is good.... check the condition off the bulb connector. They have been know to fail.
My vote. And if memory serves, if it is bad you can purchase the connector at an auto parts store, rather than HD.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now."--- Elwood Blues

"What does not kill you makes you stronger..... except for bears, bears will kill you."

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"--- Some guy in a bar.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:21 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maritimesbob View Post
I have a 2000 Sportster 883 XLH with a non-working headlight. The daytime light (the little 5w as it's Europeam) light comes on, but the H4 bulb doesn't work. I have changed the bulb for a new one, still the same.

Should the headlamp illuminate when the ignition is turned on, or only when the is engine running? Previous bikes I've owned where the headlamp only works when the bike is running.

Anyways, this will help me diagnose the problem with a volt meter. With the key turned to on, I get zero through the three pronged plug going into the H4 bulb. Next stop, the switch itself?

Between the switch and the headlamp, is there a plug or does the harness from this switch split somewhere behind the lamp unit?

Which colour is the hi and lo beam wires going into the plug?
THanks.
(1) Yes.
(2) Put the black meter lead to an engine ground then check for volts at the white and yellow wires in the plug. Try the hi beam switch also.
(3) White and yellow.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 07:05 AM
2004 Ultra Classic

I always ask "did you do any wiring of any sorts prior to this happening"?

"A man will rust before he wears out". Colonel Harland Sanders

"You can shear a sheep many times. You can skin it only once". Amarillo Slim AKA Thomas Austin Preston Jr.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTY View Post
(2) Put the black meter lead to an engine ground then check for volts at the white and yellow wires in the plug. Try the hi beam switch also.
(3) White and yellow.
Make sure the connector is plugged onto the headlamp when you do this test, it needs to be done while the circuit is under a load.

1989 FLSTC
2016 FLHR
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Ok, problem solved!

After going through a couple of fuses and elimating one thing at a time I narrowed it down to the hi/lo switch or the harness on the handlebars. I unplugged this harness and the fuse did not blow anymore.

So, I removed the clutch lever and mirror mount, unscrewed the switch mount and found that that the harness was being crushed underneath the clutch mounting ring causing some wires to ground on the handlebars. Wrapped some insulation tape around them and the headlight works just fine.

Can someone post a photo of their Sportster handlebar where the hi/lo switch is located? I want to see how this harness is located in the clutch lever. On mine both harnesses (left and right side) are severely crushed under the brake and clutch lever mounting rings. It doesn't seem like it should be that way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	761731  

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 06:43 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
There should be a dimple in the bottom of the bars under the switch clamps that the wire harness snugs into. Some aftermarket bars don't have the dimples and the harness will get crushed.
Dan89flstc and Smoketown$1 like this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode