Brake light won't turn off - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
TAS
Slave to the grind

Brake light won't turn off

On my 94 FLSTC, when I turn on the ignition switch (or start it), the brake light stays on (as in both filiments in the light stay lite). I've changed out the bulb and still... If I hit either brake, the light does nothing.

I'm guessing there's a gounding issue somewhere but wanted to see if anyone else ran across this same issue and could norrow down the search area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Probably not a grounding issue.
Remove one of the wires from the rear brake light switch and see if the problem persists,If it does then remove one of the wires from the handlebar switch,if the problem is still there then look for a cross short between the tail/ brake light wires in the rear fender or in the socket itself.
If the problem goes away by removing either brake light switch wires then replace the appropriate switch.
Keep in mind that the head/tail light comes on with the ignition switch in the run position.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 12:49 PM

I keep forgetting about this new stuff like microswitches and the different kinds of connector plugs that make things so much more easier to work on.
Guess i`m still living in the old Shovel head days.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 PM
SNAFU organizer

Yea a switch most likely. Lotta folks get in trouble when they mess with the grps/brake lever and dont realize that theres a brake light switch in there.
jpassh2o likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
TAS
Slave to the grind

Dave63 nailed it!! I stopped by a shop Friday and a old school biker/owner told me the same thing. I went home and noticed the lever had a small gap at the switch control. Readjusted it and all's good. Thanks fro the help. I'm sure I'll need more as I learn about this bike.

Todd
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:03 AM
SNAFU organizer

Most of us would reccomend getting the HD service manual for your particular model Tas.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
TAS
Slave to the grind

That's one of the first things I'm looking for. You recommend a good place for one? Do they have a good troubleshooting section?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:20 AM

Garage
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Here you go. Pick Hales or any of the other 20% off dealers and get the manual for $48

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:45 PM

95 FXSTS Brake Light Problem Fixed

The brake light on my 1995 Softail Springer was staying on. I first checked the rear brake switch by removing the two connectors on it and checking continuity (of the two switch terminals) with a multimeter. It was OK. It was open normally and closed when the rear brake pedal was pushed.

After searching for "brake light won't turn off", I read this forum. I then adjusted the front brake assembly so that it was closer to the twist throttle grip assembly. That solved my problem of the brake light staying on!

Thanks to the previous posters and the search functions! I did not have to take my bike to the dealer! Now that is a savings!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 02:43 AM

I have the same problem! How do you adjust the lever to be closer?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode