Finally Getting Ready to Upgrade my 80" Evo - Page 6 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 07:06 PM
JLR

Repeat Put some wood strips between the base and the piston skirt. You can hold the piston against the wood strips by putting a socket and breaker bar on the compensator bolt and let the weight of the bar hold the piston against the wood. Add some weight to the bar if necessary.

I'm going to edit this by saying that many times I've had stuff screwed up by a helper, so I find ways to do things alone.
sardonicus87 likes this.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
weird member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
Repeat Put some wood strips between the base and the piston skirt. You can hold the piston against the wood strips by putting a socket and breaker bar on the compensator bolt and let the weight of the bar hold the piston against the wood. Add some weight to the bar if necessary.

I'm going to edit this by saying that many times I've had stuff screwed up by a helper, so I find ways to do things alone.
Man, do I know that one all too well.
JLR likes this.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.
post #53 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
weird member

Garage
Well, I test-fit the cam and I am going to have to clearance the gear case, way in the back. I don't yet know about the pinion gear area, I only checked in the back.

Any suggestions for covering that hole and the cam needle bearing while I hit that edge with a Dremel? Because, however I get it covered, I can't have it sticking out and being in the way of the grinding. And, I don't know that I will be able to get tape to stick back there.

I know there's a cutter tool out there that goes into that bearing and connects to a drill, but I don't want to go that route. I have a Dremel and I could also borrow a die grinder, but I don't want to spend over $100 on a big tool I only need once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_183532490.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	761721  

Kyle

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.

post #54 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:54 AM
Proud Infidel

You could stuff it with a rag or paper towel. Size it to fit without much sticking out to impede your progress.

Or get a cork.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
sardonicus87 likes this.

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.
Salman Rushdie
post #55 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
weird member

Garage
At first, I was worried using a cork or a rag, sticking out, would be in the way. But that'll work out fine because I was looking at my cutting options, and it won't be a problem.

Going to go get a tungsten carbide cutter for my Dremel. It looks like a shank, not a wheel. Anyway, nothing will be in the way using that, and it should cut shavings/chunks so that will make for easier cleaning out than grinding or cutting wheel dust. It'll also make the job a lot faster than using a grinder or cut wheel. Even double checked that it could cut steel.

Dremel seems easier and more maneuverable than a die grinder anyway.

But I just realized I forgot to put pics from getting the cylinders done. Anyway, this is as far as I have gotten.

I may get in there tonight and start working on getting clearance for the cam lobes. I test fit the cam and I know I have to clearance that engine boss for the innermost lobe, but I haven't checked any other clearance yet like the area around the breather gear or anything. Hopefully I only need to clearance that one spot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG9520190920951619350.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	761739  

Name:	IMG9520190920951649290.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	761741  

Name:	IMG_20190920_170709285.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	761743  

Name:	IMG_20190920_183532490.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	761745  

Kyle

post #56 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:28 PM
Proud Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardonicus87 View Post
Going to go get a tungsten carbide cutter for my Dremel.
Be VERY careful with the Dremel. It'll take quite a bit of metal out VERY quickly!

sardonicus87 likes this.

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.
Salman Rushdie
post #57 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
weird member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
Be VERY careful with the Dremel. It'll take quite a bit of metal out VERY quickly!

Oh I know, I've cut metal with a Dremel before.

Generally, I hold it like a pencil and go light and slow, using one of my fingers like a fulcrum. And I usually sweep the opposite direction of the spin (so, right to left), that way if it jumps, it jumps up and away rather than running away along where I am cutting. My hand also acts as a stop, with all my pressure on the side to prevent it running away.

And I never put downward pressure into where I am cutting. I also pull away after every sweep, in part for the bit and area I am using to cool or not overheat, and also to see where I am working. I even go so far as to look up the RPMs for the given cutter and material to ensure it won't bind and won't cut too fast.

I'm going to be test fitting a lot. I only want to cut as much as I need for clearance and no more. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of .030"

Kyle

post #58 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:54 PM
JLR

If you stuff a rag in that bearing, put a bunch of grease on the rag. It will collect and hold the filings and a little grease on the bearing won't hurt a thing.
sardonicus87 likes this.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
post #59 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
weird member

Garage
Whew. May not be pretty, but I got clearance all the way around for that innermost lobe. Going to go back through with a feeler gauge and see just how much space, but I couldn't get hang ups when I test fit the cam (though I didn't turn the engine over, because I didn't remove the pinion gear, I just pulled out the cam and turned it around, tooth by tooth). Though, it is pretty damn close on that steel insert that the crankcase bearing goes into.

Before that, going to carefully replug everything with new plugs, then use a restaurant style sauce bottle to spray/flush it clean with engine oil, just in case I missed any shavings. Too bad aluminum isn't magnetic, would be a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190921_133017606.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	761837  

Name:	IMG_20190923_171834969.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	761839  

Name:	IMG_20190923_181134941.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	7.97 MB
ID:	761841  

Hillsidecycleco and JLR like this.

Kyle

post #60 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 05:50 AM

You are going at this nicely.
sardonicus87 likes this.

"....3 dueces and a 4 speed..........and a 389"..........
Goodson H-D Cylinder Head Tooling Manufacturer
Celebrating over 35 Years of H-D Engine Building

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode