Finally Getting Ready to Upgrade my 80" Evo - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
weird member
 
sardonicus87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Dothan, AL (I "aint from 'round here" though)
Posts: 1,410
Garage
Finally Getting Ready to Upgrade my 80" Evo

First, I gotta talk to this indy guy I trust and find out what's wrong with my bike as it is, and then I gotta ask him if I just bring everything to him, if he will assemble it all for me and retune it. I already have several new Dynojet jets for CV carb and the SE air cleaner (updated 1993-1999 version) and V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe.

So, I plan to go with Hillside for their Evo Stage II headwork + compression release ports drilled, and jugs and stuff (pistons, I think last year talked about also them setting piston rings and matching to the jugs or something). I gotta call them about which cam to go with. I already know I'm going 10:1 piston heads, but unsure between Woods 6H, Woods 8 or Woods 9 cam (I have read a few times that the 6H requires shaving the case a little for fitment, dunno if that's true). Probably a Dyna 2000i ignition system (ignition + coil). But that's only after my indy finds out what's currently wrong with it and if he will reassemble it for me once I get in the upgrades.

After those decisions made, I gotta call Baker and see what they think for a 6 speed transmission (direct vs over drive, ratio for first gear).

The whole thing for me is acceleration, and that's the quick and dirty of it. Yeah, I know I need to up the starter, already got a Baker high-torque IPB and upgraded clutch (kevlar extra plate + 25% stronger heavy duty spring in stock clutch basket). Plus, it's my everything bike (99% daily backroad and around town riding, only light touring).

And yeah, I know I could throw the amount of money I will be spending on it for this toward an used, up-graded TC, but I don't want a TC. Nothing against TC's, but they don't get me rock hard like Evos, and this bike is one I will never get rid of, I will be buried with it.

Anyway, there's a few things I still need to figure out. First... and sorry, my knowledge in regards to engine/engine work is a little on the low side, I only know enough to get into trouble, but:
• What pushrods for such a setup, are the Andrews Chromoly still the way to go?
• Whats the best set of lifters for this?
• Upgrading the rockers... with what?
• Machining required to fit any of those cams and what's the difference between them as far as feel and real power when at 10:1 compression (W6H vs W8 vs W9)?
• Is there anything else I am forgetting?

It's gonna be a screamer, when I want it to be (in a safe environment, obviously).

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]


You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.
sardonicus87 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Reformed Cager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Western, NY
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardonicus87 View Post
First, I gotta talk to this indy guy I trust and find out what's wrong with my bike as it is, and then I gotta ask him if I just bring everything to him, if he will assemble it all for me and retune it. I already have several new Dynojet jets for CV carb and the SE air cleaner (updated 1993-1999 version) and V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe.

So, I plan to go with Hillside for their Evo Stage II headwork + compression release ports drilled, and jugs and stuff (pistons, I think last year talked about also them setting piston rings and matching to the jugs or something). I gotta call them about which cam to go with. I already know I'm going 10:1 piston heads, but unsure between Woods 6H, Woods 8 or Woods 9 cam (I have read a few times that the 6H requires shaving the case a little for fitment, dunno if that's true). Probably a Dyna 2000i ignition system (ignition + coil). But that's only after my indy finds out what's currently wrong with it and if he will reassemble it for me once I get in the upgrades.

After those decisions made, I gotta call Baker and see what they think for a 6 speed transmission (direct vs over drive, ratio for first gear).

The whole thing for me is acceleration, and that's the quick and dirty of it. Yeah, I know I need to up the starter, already got a Baker high-torque IPB and upgraded clutch (kevlar extra plate + 25% stronger heavy duty spring in stock clutch basket). Plus, it's my everything bike (99% daily backroad and around town riding, only light touring).

And yeah, I know I could throw the amount of money I will be spending on it for this toward an used, up-graded TC, but I don't want a TC. Nothing against TC's, but they don't get me rock hard like Evos, and this bike is one I will never get rid of, I will be buried with it.

Anyway, there's a few things I still need to figure out. First... and sorry, my knowledge in regards to engine/engine work is a little on the low side, I only know enough to get into trouble, but:
What pushrods for such a setup, are the Andrews Chromoly still the way to go?
Whats the best set of lifters for this?
Upgrading the rockers... with what?
Machining required to fit any of those cams and what's the difference between them as far as feel and real power when at 10:1 compression (W6H vs W8 vs W9)?
Is there anything else I am forgetting?

It's gonna be a screamer, when I want it to be (in a safe environment, obviously).
Can't offer any technical advice (but you knew that already), but sounds like she's coming along and going to be one helluva scoot!

2019 HD Iron 883

US Army Veteran
Thank you to all that have, are, and will serve, both Military and Civil.
Reformed Cager is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:00 PM
JLR
Senior Member
 
JLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,280
Kyle,

If you are going with Hillside, I would suggest asking them the questions you have. They have a lot of experience with different combos and would give a lot better information to you than the forum members. Just tell them what you want to achieve and they (or any long time builder) will suggest the proper combo.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
JLR is online now  
 
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
weird member
 
sardonicus87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Dothan, AL (I "aint from 'round here" though)
Posts: 1,410
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
Kyle,

If you are going with Hillside, I would suggest asking them the questions you have. They have a lot of experience with different combos and would give a lot better information to you than the forum members. Just tell them what you want to achieve and they (or any long time builder) will suggest the proper combo.
I planned to ask them as well those questions when I call them, and I do trust them, I talked to them last year when I was planning all this, and I knew that they know their stuff before calling last year.

Just thought I would put out some additional feelers, especially to help get the questions more pointed so I don't tie up their phone too long, and if there's anything else I should be asking about.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]


You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.
sardonicus87 is online now  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,233
IMHO I would go with someone other than hillside
EvoRK is online now  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
glust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 807
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoRK View Post
IMHO I would go with someone other than hillside
I'm not arguing with you, I just want to know why you feel this way. Scott worked on my 02 glide and I loved it. I don't want this to be a public display so please feel free to PM me. thanks
sardonicus87 likes this.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.." Robert Hunter
glust is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:34 PM
Proud Infidel
 
Alan S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Southcentral LA
Posts: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by glust View Post
I'm not arguing with you, I just want to know why you feel this way. Scott worked on my 02 glide and I loved it. I don't want this to be a public display so please feel free to PM me. thanks
I think there are a lot of people who want to know.

Sent from here to there.
sardonicus87 likes this.

What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist.
Salman Rushdie
Alan S is online now  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 01:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,233
As stated that was my opinion nothing more nothing less I’m sure they will do what you want and your bike will run fine.
EvoRK is online now  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:38 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Darkhorse for lower end (stroke it to an 89) and their sister company Hoban brothers for the top end. Heads (HD SE if you can find them or S&S), S&S tappets, S&S 561 cam and HVHP oil pump. Twintec ignition. Live in higher altitude stick with a 42 Harley CV carb - live in lower altitude go with SE 44 CV carb. Always use Cometic gaskets. Better tolerances which equates to a smidge better performance. Lastly put a Thunderheader exhaust on old girl. My $0.02. You won't be disappointed.
reggman2 is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Munnsville, N.Y.
Posts: 1,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardonicus87 View Post
First, I gotta talk to this indy guy I trust and find out what's wrong with my bike as it is, and then I gotta ask him if I just bring everything to him, if he will assemble it all for me and retune it. I already have several new Dynojet jets for CV carb and the SE air cleaner (updated 1993-1999 version) and V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe.

So, I plan to go with Hillside for their Evo Stage II headwork + compression release ports drilled, and jugs and stuff (pistons, I think last year talked about also them setting piston rings and matching to the jugs or something). I gotta call them about which cam to go with. I already know I'm going 10:1 piston heads, but unsure between Woods 6H, Woods 8 or Woods 9 cam (I have read a few times that the 6H requires shaving the case a little for fitment, dunno if that's true). Probably a Dyna 2000i ignition system (ignition + coil). But that's only after my indy finds out what's currently wrong with it and if he will reassemble it for me once I get in the upgrades.

After those decisions made, I gotta call Baker and see what they think for a 6 speed transmission (direct vs over drive, ratio for first gear).

The whole thing for me is acceleration, and that's the quick and dirty of it. Yeah, I know I need to up the starter, already got a Baker high-torque IPB and upgraded clutch (kevlar extra plate + 25% stronger heavy duty spring in stock clutch basket). Plus, it's my everything bike (99% daily backroad and around town riding, only light touring).

And yeah, I know I could throw the amount of money I will be spending on it for this toward an used, up-graded TC, but I don't want a TC. Nothing against TC's, but they don't get me rock hard like Evos, and this bike is one I will never get rid of, I will be buried with it.

Anyway, there's a few things I still need to figure out. First... and sorry, my knowledge in regards to engine/engine work is a little on the low side, I only know enough to get into trouble, but:
What pushrods for such a setup, are the Andrews Chromoly still the way to go?
Whats the best set of lifters for this?
Upgrading the rockers... with what?
Machining required to fit any of those cams and what's the difference between them as far as feel and real power when at 10:1 compression (W6H vs W8 vs W9)?
Is there anything else I am forgetting?

It's gonna be a screamer, when I want it to be (in a safe environment, obviously).
You've got the bases covered quite well!
The 6H is a broad torque cam, and was one of Woods original grinds when we watched him come to the V-Twin market, in the mid-1990's.
10.0 cr is a very friendly compression for that intake closing....it will take more, but we hedge to the safe side here, always, letting the total combination bring out the power, rather than force-feeding compression.
Combined with the precision S&S lifters, forged Wiseco pistons, our Stage II Evo Heads with beehive springs, and the Dyna 2000i, is a combo(the 6 cam is used often also)that has long proven to be a long mileage home run for almost 25 years of building this configuration.
2 others currently being built here at this time, and one had a stator/regulator meltdown prior to coming in.
If I said we have built over 100 of these, using either a 6 or 6H, I would not be lying.
I'll call you later this morning.
sardonicus87 likes this.

"....3 dueces and a 4 speed..........and a 389"..........
Goodson H-D Cylinder Head Tooling Manufacturer
Celebrating over 35 Years of H-D Engine Building
Hillsidecycleco is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome