2004 heritage engine question - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2004 heritage engine question

I was wondering if I could get some advice on this issue I'm having with my 2004 heritage fuel injected bike. I had an accident with it 3 yrs ago. I finally was able to fix the damage and was gonna proceed with starting it (hasn't been run in that time, garage kept and covered thoroughly). Figured I change all fluids and other standard items before trying to crank it over. When going to change the engine oil there was nothing showing in the oil tank and very very little came out of the drain plug? But I did drain what little there was and added a new filter. Don't know why at this stage its almost empty? And very hesitant on proceeding any thoughts would be most appreciated with this matter...thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Old Skool

Garage
It's in the Crankcase, leaked down there.
1/2 Ton and marshmallow like this.

I may be Old but I Refuse to Grow Up.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:15 PM

Garage
Yep what Ddaddo said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. I just went through that with a Sporty. Check the post for SUMPING.

Scott
2014 Ultra Classic
All LED lighting otherwise bone stock.
K-I-S-S Keepin' It Simple Stupid.
USMC veteran.
NRA LIFE Member

Drinking and riding is fine ... just don't do it in that order

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 09:23 PM

Garage
DELETED... Sorry i gave a very bad link.. Search Oil Sumping, I have been running back through the old post for a minute now... I'm having a difficult time recalling where exactly i got the info from.. Search Oil Sumping and do some reading you'll find it.
Sorry for posting the wrong link..

Scott
2014 Ultra Classic
All LED lighting otherwise bone stock.
K-I-S-S Keepin' It Simple Stupid.
USMC veteran.
NRA LIFE Member

Drinking and riding is fine ... just don't do it in that order

Last edited by 1/2 Ton; 10-14-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: explained
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 08:04 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydevil View Post
I was wondering if I could get some advice on this issue I'm having with my 2004 heritage fuel injected bike. I had an accident with it 3 yrs ago. I finally was able to fix the damage and was gonna proceed with starting it (hasn't been run in that time, garage kept and covered thoroughly). Figured I change all fluids and other standard items before trying to crank it over. When going to change the engine oil there was nothing showing in the oil tank and very very little came out of the drain plug? But I did drain what little there was and added a new filter. Don't know why at this stage its almost empty? And very hesitant on proceeding any thoughts would be most appreciated with this matter...thx!
Sumped ! Don't change the oil, first pull the spark plugs and crank the engine over a bunch of times to get the oil pumped back into the tank.
Put the old filter back on first.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention I did add new oil? What should I do now? Thx for all the help!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:57 AM
JLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydevil View Post
Forgot to mention I did add new oil? What should I do now? Thx for all the help!
Drain it. If you don't your Harley will do it for you and deposit the oil all over your m/c.
SoftailBilly likes this.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok gonna drain new oil out put old filter back on and move ahead with the other items planned. Then crank without the plugs. Wish me luck...and thx everyone for all your help it is much appreciated!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Garage
Put a charger on the battery. You'll need to crank it over a lot to get all the oil pumped back into the tank. The new oil that you drained out, will be perfectly good to put back in.

I ride like an old guy that wants to get older.

Pete / Breeze .380
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze3at View Post
Put a charger on the battery. You'll need to crank it over a lot to get all the oil pumped back into the tank. The new oil that you drained out, will be perfectly good to put back in.
What Breeze said. Don't wait long or it will drain into the engine , depends on how good anti drain valve is working..
2005FXD likes this.

Stay Vertical

USAF Veteran, Patriot Guard Rider.
2009 Softail Custom in Vivid Black, 3"Slip ons, SE A/C Kit, Knight Rider Xieds, SE Compensator, Fork Brace and some more chrome to polish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in