'97 FHLR Backfire w/Black Smoke Rear Cylinder - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

'97 FHLR Backfire w/Black Smoke Rear Cylinder

This morning when starting my '97 Road King (stock 1340cc and carb w/95k miles [25k on remanufactured motor], header pipes, Pingle petcock), the engine was running as expected on the front cylinder, but missing/sputtering on the rear cylinder with black smoke from the rear cylinder exhaust. Will check spark plugs and plug wire when I get home, but any suggestions on what else to check? Just rode it a week ago (in light rain), and it ran fine. Thanks!
Central joe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 01:24 PM
Old Skool

Garage
Check the Coil to see if it's Cracked.
tekslk and Central joe like this.

I may be Old but I Refuse to Grow Up.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddyo View Post
Check the Coil to see if it's Cracked.
Got it. Thanks. Will check the resistance measurements, too. Just for my edification, what causes the black smoke, and how might a cracked coil cause that?
Central joe likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:10 PM
Just Ride

Intake seals, sounds like rear has vacuum leak
Central joe likes this.

2010 FLTRX Wimmer Better Sucker,Stage 1,Xied's,no cat,fatstick with open end cap. 2004 Dyna Lowrider Harley Heavy Breather,Stage 1,Screaming Eagle mufflers.1996 FXDS-CONV S&S E.Screaming Eagle ignition,V&H Short shots. 1978 Strokershovel Lowrider 100 inches. 1974 Suzuki GT750 Lemans (Water Buffalo)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:22 PM
JLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjnoffy View Post
Got it. Thanks. Will check the resistance measurements, too. Just for my edification, what causes the black smoke, and how might a cracked coil cause that?

Black smoke is usually from an excessively rich condition. If the coil was cracked, coil wire bad, spark plug bad or anything else that would cause improper burning of the fuel in the cylinder it will have black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe.
Central joe likes this.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 08:54 PM
Barney Fife - Poser

Quote:
This morning when starting my '97 Road King (stock 1340cc and carb w/95k miles [25k on remanufactured motor], header pipes, Pingle petcock), the engine was running as expected on the front cylinder, but missing/sputtering on the rear cylinder with black smoke from the rear cylinder exhaust. Will check spark plugs and plug wire when I get home, but any suggestions on what else to check? Just rode it a week ago (in light rain), and it ran fine. Thanks!
So, did it do this for a minute and then you shut it off and jumped in a car? Did you ride it to wherever you need to get home from? How long did it smoke? Never did it before? All bikes have header pipes. Are you saying you have true duals so you are sure it was just the rear smoking?

G Man

Quotes found on the internet are not always accurate. - Abraham Lincoln

Silence is golden , duct tape is silver.

Stay back 200 feet - not responsible for damaged feelings.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by <G Man> View Post
So, did it do this for a minute and then you shut it off and jumped in a car? Did you ride it to wherever you need to get home from? How long did it smoke? Never did it before? All bikes have header pipes. Are you saying you have true duals so you are sure it was just the rear smoking?
Spent 15 minutes attempting to start it at least 6 times, black smoke from rear cylinder exhaust and sputtering, pulling plug wires, resetting. Never did it before. Had to leave for my 45-mile drive to my DoD job. There was no riding on one cylinder. Yes, true duals... separate pipes for each cylinder and black smoke from only the left pipe (rear cylinder).

Tested the ignition coil. Primary and secondary resistance test good per shop manual. Plugs are black and sooty. Picking up new plugs, cables, ignition coil (while the tank is moved), intake manifold seals tomorrow.

Other suggestions appreciated.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 08:17 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
Spent 15 minutes attempting to start it at least 6 times, black smoke from rear cylinder exhaust and sputtering, pulling plug wires, resetting. Never did it before. Had to leave for my 45-mile drive to my DoD job. There was no riding on one cylinder. Yes, true duals... separate pipes for each cylinder and black smoke from only the left pipe (rear cylinder).

Tested the ignition coil. Primary and secondary resistance test good per shop manual. Plugs are black and sooty. Picking up new plugs, cables, ignition coil (while the tank is moved), intake manifold seals tomorrow.

Other suggestions appreciated.
Compression test both cylinders.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzHD View Post
Intake seals, sounds like rear has vacuum leak
Before I pull the carb and intake manifold, wouldn't a leaky seal cause the air/fuel mixture to be lean, allowing extra air into the cylinder? Sounds like the black smoke and black, sooty plugs indicate a too rich condition. Or am I making wrong assumptions? Thanks.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Retired citizen

Garage
Intake seal leak test is easy, no disassembly required ! Idle engine and squirt WD-40 or brake cleaner around the intake manifold to head connection, if idle changes the seals are leaking.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode