Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Street 500 & Street 750 forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/street-500-street-750-forum/)
-   -   Loose Seat - Street 500 (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/street-500-street-750-forum/362307-loose-seat-street-500-a.html)

madmensch 12-30-2018 12:33 AM

Loose Seat - Street 500

Hi there,

I just purchased a used 2015 street 500 and after taking the bike home I noticed the seat was loose so I decided to take it off and have a look. I found out that the square shaped hole under the seat that connects to the metal tongue is completely broken off on the bottom edge where the tongue normally hooks onto.

I didn’t notice this while riding, but now that I’ve seen it I can pull the seat up completely from the front with the strap and screw being the only thing holding it down. I’m a new rider and wanted to ask if this can pose a safety risk or if it’s not a big deal.

Thanks.

southernman_67 12-30-2018 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmensch (Post 7219497)
Im a new rider and wanted to ask if this can pose a safety risk or if its not a big deal.

Thanks.

As a new rider, I would say dont ride it. It will be a distraction to you, whether it is mental, or a physical one. There is too much out there to be aware of, and too much distracting you already. Fix it, and be safe.

Good catch!

pipewizard 12-30-2018 08:19 AM

If you bought it from a dealer, take it back and have them fix it. If not, find someone who can fix it.

bbally 12-30-2018 09:32 AM

Never observed this failure .... But you need to get it to a decent weld shop before riding it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Radar 12-30-2018 10:03 AM

To answer your question directly, a loose seat is a major safety issue. Do not ride until you have it repaired or replaced.

SCHMIDTY 12-30-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipewizard (Post 7219583)
If you bought it from a dealer, take it back and have them fix it. If not, find someone who can fix it.

This ^^^ is what I would do. Used bikes purchased from dealers are under limited warranty, usually 30 - 90 days.
If the bike was bought from a private seller 'as is' then no recourse on it.
Either way I would have it replaced unless the OP isn't planning to keep the bike long. If the OP resells it the OP should disclose the defect IMO.

DRVMN 12-31-2018 10:04 PM

A loose seat is definitely a safety issue and my guess is that the dealership would want to fix the seat ASAP to avoid any type of lawsuit due to them selling an unsafe bike.