Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Fuel Systems (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/fuel-systems/)
-   -   2010 HD ultra efi tuner? (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/fuel-systems/26873-2010-hd-ultra-efi-tuner.html)

2010hdultra 01-26-2011 01:08 PM

2010 HD ultra efi tuner?

575 Attachment(s)
I have a 2010 ultra classic and have put on the rhinehart slip ons and soon to install a se stage 1 intake kit. I have done research and to the best of what i am understanding I have 4 options.

1. i can have the dealer reflash the ecm with a stage 1 tune that is specifally designed by HD to match the bike and their SE parts, but most dealers say that this tune will work for most mild mods since none of them really differ much in the performance areas, mostly cosmetic and sound differences. all of them increase air in and exhaust out. therefore increasing power and requiring a non-stock ecm tune, I beleive the dealers call this a ecm download and costs about $150-180 at the dealer.

2. I can buy the SE street performance tuner which is about $320 and this will allow me to take it to HD dealer and they can download a HD map to the ecm and only charge about $50 bucks. but this is still the generic HD stage 1 map, not specific to my parts.

3. the most costly up front, is the SE pro race tuner and software. this would allow me to not only download stock hd maps for my setup, but also allow me to use the autotune feature to get a closer tune to my specific setup, or take it to a dyno shop and have them custom tune it to my spcific bike.

4. Stay with the stock ecm since it is a closed loop system and should accomodate any minor changes made and keep the air fuel mix to factory spec.

i am still trying to decide which way i should go. Don't really want to pay for a map or ecm download every time i make a change, but the sert is $460 plus software and cables making it $530 + intake.
This is a daily rider and not a track bike, hence its an ultra and not a street glide. I just want to put the intake and pipes on and get a modest streetable tune to get away from the factory lean/hot tune, to cool it off a bit. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

if i am incorrect in any of this please let me know as it would help my understanding alot.

SCHMIDTY 01-26-2011 02:22 PM

If you plan any future updates then I would get the Super Tuner right away . No need for the dyno time now . It's a few extra bucks but , hey ... you got a $20+grand bike !!!

mrmetal 01-27-2011 04:28 AM

You have at least two other options if not more. Have you checked out the thunder Max auto tune. I run the thunder Max on my 08 softtail. You can get performance and fuel economy at the same time with the but it is expensive and it would cover any type of modification in the future that you do.
There's also Revolution performance. They may have a kit that goes with the stock ECM and you send your ECM to them and they will reprogram it for you and then you install it with the rest of the kit that they supply.

Performance Parts for Harley-Davidson and Buell ? Revolution Performance

Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) and Performance Parts for Harley Davidson and VTwin Motorcycles

big worm 01-27-2011 07:00 AM

EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes i can get you one of these for less than any other unit on the market. its made by the founder of power commander, mark dobecks. pm me on here or email me at : [email protected] fuel management does not have to expensive unless you want it to be, these come set for "stage 1" upgrades and have more adjustment than you'll need for any mod.

StoneCrab 01-27-2011 07:53 AM

Personally I'm looking at the type of tuner BW is mentioning simply because I don't plan on doing anything in the near future above stage 1. I simply want my scooter to run a little cooler and to get rid of the decel pops from it's epa lean mix with out spending money on unnecessary gaggits that won't be used for their full potential on a simple mod like a stage 1. should I go with more serious mods to make this puppy run like a scalded dog then I would consider which tuner would be the best for it then (TTS, etc) Having to deal with efi on a scooter is new trip for me and there is a ton of great info in here about them. I do miss having a carb... jmho and will do more reading before deciding but I'm really thinking at this time simpler is better and most certainly less expensive for my S-1 mods...

Rich Arno 08-13-2019 01:26 PM

Do you still do these downloads? Tried to email you but that address did not work.

FritzHD 08-13-2019 01:42 PM

This is a 8 year old thread. You can try to private message to ask.