Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Performance (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/performance/)
-   -   I need stage 1 info for 2004 Road King (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/performance/365647-i-need-stage-1-info-2004-road-king.html)

BigDoo 07-31-2019 02:54 PM

I need stage 1 info for 2004 Road King

Her's the deal.
I have searched GOOGLE,talked to a dealer,searched other forums,etc. and can not get/find a simple answer to what I thought was a simple question.
I have gotten so many different answers I am about ready to say screw it and just leave my RKC bone stock forever.
Well,here is the question... What components and labor needs to be done for a stage 1 kit on a 2004 Road King Classic?
Someone please give me a simple answer if there is such a thing.
Once I get this answered I can start looking into cost.

thanks,

Doug

Alan S 07-31-2019 04:26 PM

IIRC, it's just mufflers, intake, and tune.

Nothing Earth shattering.

Just leave it bone stock and save up for cams and the rest.

Sent from here to there.

Silverback 07-31-2019 08:03 PM

I need stage 1 info for 2004 Road King

Lots of stuff on eBay to help you hold costs down. I went through this on my 04 RK. Its not a new bike, so it may not make sense to buy brand new parts for it. People are always trying different components, and then making their perfectly serviceable used parts available at very good prices. Used aftermarket mufflers and intakes can do a very good job for you. A 2004 model does not need (and cannot really utilize fully) the most capable and sophisticated tuner modules. Your bike doesnt have oxygen sensors, so xieds cant help you. If you do exhaust and intake mods together, you will need a way to richen up the fuel mixture. I found a used Power Commander III usb on eBay that worked great for me.
For example,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-Har....c100005.m1851

Bonus is that the guys at Dynojet are great about support, even on used modules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigDoo 07-31-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverback (Post 7298421)
Lots of stuff on eBay to help you hold costs down. I went through this on my 04 RK. Its not a new bike, so it may not make sense to buy brand new parts for it. People are always trying different components, and then making their perfectly serviceable used parts available at very good prices. Used aftermarket mufflers and intakes can do a very good job for you. A 2004 model does not need (and cannot really utilize fully) the most capable and sophisticated tuner modules. Your bike doesnt have oxygen sensors, so xieds cant help you. If you do exhaust and intake mods together, you will need a way to richen up the fuel mixture. I found a used Power Commander III usb on eBay that worked great for me.
For example,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-02-Har....c100005.m1851

Bonus is that the guys at Dynojet are great about support, even on used modules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the link and info.
When I talked to a shop today they told me that a tuner,mid range priced slip ons, intake and labor would be upwards of $1300.00
I thought that was high.

slingshot383 08-01-2019 05:23 AM

Break down what each item cost, and you will find out $1300 isn't to far off, Fuel Moto makes a stealth air cleaner (hides behind the stock cover), Headpipes from Fuel Moto, S&S, or Cobra, and add whatever muffler you want, then a FP-3 or Powervision for the tuner, and you have a complete Stage1 system.

BigDoo 08-01-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slingshot383 (Post 7298479)
Break down what each item cost, and you will find out $1300 isn't to far off, Fuel Moto makes a stealth air cleaner (hides behind the stock cover), Headpipes from Fuel Moto, S&S, or Cobra, and add whatever muffler you want, then a FP-3 or Powervision for the tuner, and you have a complete Stage1 system.

Slingshot,
This is the kind of information I was looking for.
I started looking at costs after I posted about the $1300.
It did not take long to find out what you just stated.
I am calling that shop back this morning and get down to the exact cost.
One thing you mention that I had not thought about was the additional cost of head pipes.

thank you,

Doug

BigDoo 08-01-2019 02:27 PM

The good...the performance shop and I after about 2 hrs. of discussion came up with an upgrade.
The bad (not really)...I have to wait 2 weeks to get in to have it done.

Thunder~Struck 08-01-2019 02:32 PM

DIY?

BigDoo 08-01-2019 02:36 PM

No I am not going to do it myself.
I am not computer savvy enough to mess with doing the tuner.
I would have it so jacked up it probably would not run.LOL

SoftailBilly 08-01-2019 03:21 PM

You don't need head pipes. Put some slip-ons with a HD SE Air Cleaner kit on your self be done with it. If your running a carb local shop can rejet it for you. Keep it simple