Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   The Rider (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/rider/)
-   -   Bikers Beware - new item to add to your WATCH OUT list (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/rider/365531-bikers-beware-new-item-add-your-watch-out-list.html)

SpsterPatridge 07-25-2019 11:50 PM

Bikers Beware - new item to add to your WATCH OUT list

Beware Bikers!!! Here is a new item to be aware of when riding your bike which I have now added to my "be diligent watch out list".

Wednesday, 7/24/2019 my HD sportster threw me off in a split second. Making a left hand turn on to a highway ramp going approx 15-20 mph, I felt the bike start to slide a little and I did one or more of the following (it happened so fast I do not recall exactly what I did) but I was down on the pavement on my back and scrambled to reach for kill switch while bike was doing a 360 on its side. I managed to get up, upright the bike, and push it to side of road. As I pushed the bike, I noticed I was slipping and sliding on my feet. I looked down on the pavement and saw about 75 feet x about 18 inches wide trail of something very slick and somewhat black in color (either oil or hydraulic fluid) starting from the left lane where I started my turn on to the ramp, continuing on to the ramp for another 50 ft or so. I had steered my bike almost exactly on this path of slick fluid and as I was leaning left to steer the bike, the tires must have been covered with this fluid and down she went along with me! Since my eyes were watching out for cars coming from the other direction merging on the same ramp as I was, and this slick path blended in the pavement it did not stand out as something I should be careful of before it was too late.

I incurred a small road rash burn to my left elbow. My new crashbar saved me from being crushed / burned by the hot engine as well as preventing any significant damage to the bike with the exception of the left rear signal light which I can fix easily. And of course, I was wearing my helmet which prevented any damage to the back of my head.

Just thought I should pass this along and hope you add it to your "watch out list" along with the other such things we all have to be aware of riding on two wheels.

Sorry for the long winded prose!

candyman1340 07-26-2019 12:38 AM

Thanks for the warning. Where is this oil spill that we should avoid?

Thunder~Struck 07-26-2019 08:51 AM

What part of the road were you riding on?
Left, center, right?

Sounds like a pretty common potential road hazard. Especially with hotter weather setting in.

JLR 07-26-2019 08:52 AM

I've been watching out for oil patches on the road for 60 years or so.

Thunder~Struck 07-26-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpsterPatridge (Post 7296659)
....Making a left hand...

Crossing oncoming traffic lane(s)?
In an intersection?

Quote:

Since my eyes were watching out for cars coming from the other direction merging on the same ramp as I was

Turning left. Looking right?

May I ask how long you have been riding?

gtrman66 07-26-2019 10:23 AM

Hilarious first post. First time on a bike?

jpassh2o 07-26-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLR (Post 7296753)
I've been watching out for oil patches on the road for 60 years or so.

Geeezzzzz and all ya had to do was wait and read this thread to find out where its at! :laugh

Thunder~Struck 07-26-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Beware Bikers!!! Here is a new item to be aware of when riding your bike which I have now added to my "be diligent watch out list".

Wednesday, 7/24/2019 my HD sportster threw me off in a split second. Making a left hand turn on to a highway ramp going approx 15-20 mph, I felt the bike start to slide a little and I did one or more of the following (it happened so fast I do not recall exactly what I did) but I was down on the pavement on my back and scrambled to reach for kill switch while bike was doing a 360 on its side. I managed to get up, upright the bike, and push it to side of road. As I pushed the bike, I noticed I was slipping and sliding on my feet. I looked down on the pavement and saw about 75 feet x about 18 inches wide trail of something very slick and somewhat black in color (either oil or hydraulic fluid) starting from the left lane where I started my turn on to the ramp, continuing on to the ramp for another 50 ft or so. I had steered my bike almost exactly on this path of slick fluid and as I was leaning left to steer the bike, the tires must have been covered with this fluid and down she went along with me! Since my eyes were watching out for cars coming from the other direction merging on the same ramp as I was, and this slick path blended in the pavement it did not stand out as something I should be careful of before it was too late.

I incurred a small road rash burn to my left elbow. My new crashbar saved me from being crushed / burned by the hot engine as well as preventing any significant damage to the bike with the exception of the left rear signal light which I can fix easily. And of course, I was wearing my helmet which prevented any damage to the back of my head.

Just thought I should pass this along and hope you add it to your "watch out list" along with the other such things we all have to be aware of riding on two wheels.

Sorry for the long winded prose!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Quoted for posterity.

@gtrman66
Maybe needs moved to Rider Technique and Safety. :dunno

Though may be destined for the HoF&S(?).
Have not had any new entries in a long time.

Red Oil Okie 07-26-2019 11:06 AM

Another new member judged and found lacking. No wonder we have so many one hit wonders here.

OZman 07-26-2019 11:15 AM

I would like the location of the oil . Pictures please !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk