Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Rider Technique and Safety (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/rider-technique-safety/)
-   -   Another Close Call and idot police dispatcher (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/rider-technique-safety/364613-another-close-call-idot-police-dispatcher.html)

kd5cqt 05-22-2019 11:52 AM

Another Close Call and idot police dispatcher

Just had a bad memory resurface as I rolled down the road to AM coffee and BS session. Was on my way to the local coffee shop when I happened to catch sight of a black dog that otherwise resembled a full grown German Shepard inside a yard just off the road. Problem was, said pooch was NOT on a leash and the driveway gate was wide open. Dog saw Harley and took off straight for the road as I passed the gate. Fortunately I saw the dog, dropped a gear, and twisted the wick leaving dog in exhaust fumes. On the return home, I stopped at the local County Sheriff's office depot and reported the situation to the dispatcher who did her damndest to ignore the problem, I advised her that I had been taken down back in '04 (New Year's Eve) by a pit Bull while on a Fat Boy. The 50mph slide on the asphalt road was not fun and I still have the scars as a memorial....still got ignored. Nothing to be done about it until I said no problem, I have a .45 pistol that will end the problem if it reoccurs. Still trying to figure out why I would be the one in trouble for defending myself against an untethered, unrestrained dog, but the owner gets a pass if my $40K motorcycle gets trashed and is excused from whatever it costs to pay the hospital ER staff because THAT is MY PROBLEM

Thunder~Struck 05-22-2019 12:03 PM

That is actually a form of animal abuse/neglect.

Not what you did or may be forced to, unfortunately, do.
But what the owner is doing by putting the animal in harms way.

Regardless of the best efforts of the new Dog Warden. As well as multiple agencies in this area. That type of abuse, and worse, is rampant in this area.

kd5cqt 05-22-2019 12:29 PM

Fred, I'm going to take a ride to the house where the pooch apparently lives, and hopefully, I'll be able to persuade the owner to close the gate or leash the pooch. Next stop after that is a trip to animal control then to a few of the County Supervisors that make the rules. I am presently looking at the marks on both arms from the road rash from my last slide down an asphalt road inflicted by a dog attack on one of my motorcycles. Next stop after that is a visit to the local sheriff whom I have known for many years....and he won't be happy when I leave.

Thunder~Struck 05-22-2019 12:43 PM

You are taking all the right steps.
All you can do.

fatboy_nj 05-22-2019 12:50 PM

Had a similar problem with a Rotweiller, except I was on a bicycle. Peddled my a$$ off to get away and stopped down the road 100' or so. Owner came out, I had a few choice words for same. Called animal control next day and problem was solved. Although I did reroute my normal ride, just in case it wasn't really solved.

red sport. 05-22-2019 01:05 PM

As Thunder Struck stated, you have to go to City Hall to get the forum. Me & my neighbors had a problem with a new neighbor dog, 1 of them went to city hall got the forum & some of us filled it out think only 3 of us filled it out & turned it in rest of them didn't want to get involved, think all of them was counting on me to solved the problem witch I think I did. It was chewing up, stealing ever thing that wouldn't nailed down, patio lawn cushions, water hoses, boundary post even those foam things that you put over your water faucet out side to keep from freezing barking at me ever time I went out back, I took pic. of it & a video. Any way Police went and talk to them problem solved dog is locked up. I was afraid to complain to them.
We live in a sub division houses are really close. My story might be off track But, might help some body.

kd5cqt, I would change my route.

kd5cqt 05-22-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red sport. (Post 7279311)
kd5cqt, I would change my route.

No Can Do! Only way in or out of my property is that road or I can go halfway to Alabama and come back from that direction.

Convince Me 05-22-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy_nj (Post 7279309)
Had a similar problem with a Rotweiller, except I was on a bicycle. Peddled my a$$ off to get away and stopped down the road 100' or so. Owner came out, I had a few choice words for same. Called animal control next day and problem was solved. Although I did reroute my normal ride, just in case it wasn't really solved.

Had a similar problem myself I was 14yo on my 3.5 HP Tecumseh mini bike. 3 dogs wanted to eat me! Weathered some scars on my Flag Brothers boots. Am sure my homemade horseshoe cleats tattooed one of them. :bat

Louisville Joe 05-22-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kd5cqt (Post 7279343)
No Can Do! Only way in or out of my property is that road or I can go halfway to Alabama and come back from that direction.

Yo, Darryl, ya gotta cup holder on that big ole Harley? I bet a cup holder would hold an aerosol can of pepper spray. :devil

Oh, and if you ain't got no stinkin' pepper spray I bet you have an aerosol spray can of wasp & hornet killer.

jpassh2o 05-22-2019 05:56 PM

Cup holder prolly just break......