Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels and Tires (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/)
-   -   Michelin Commander II or Dunlop Elite? (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/365527-michelin-commander-ii-dunlop-elite.html)

Kainam 07-25-2019 03:51 PM

Michelin Commander II or Dunlop Elite?

Just about due for a tire change, and not happy with the Metzler 888 that I got last time due to cupping issues.

So looking for suggestions, specifically those of you that run a 21 x 2.15" front.

bbally 07-25-2019 04:22 PM

Ran Dunlop American Elites on my FLSTFB. Not a 21 inch front. But I switched from Avons to them. Very good tire IMO.

I ran michelins on it first. Squared off and wobbled. Then I ran Avons, but in the end three sets of Elites before the bike was trade for the RGS.

EvoRK 07-25-2019 04:38 PM

IMHO Avon is the way to go. Also on the lighter bikes Shinko performs very well and sticky enough to climb up the side of a building!

jpassh2o 07-25-2019 05:47 PM

I will be buying American Elites again..... but mine is an Ultra, so you may not care! :laugh

Thunder~Struck 07-25-2019 05:58 PM

Avon Speedmaster.
Back in the day on my 83 Shovel.

:D

I know > :spank:

GotGold 07-25-2019 07:26 PM

Switched from stock Dunlop to the American Elites, won't be buying them again. Lost way too much traction in the rain, went from feeling stuck on the road to squirrley in the rain. I also don't appreciate how much you feel the road snakes too. Might be up for the Commanders the next go around, or back to stock. Tread wise they are holding up nicely, I just don't like how they feel in the rain.

glust 07-26-2019 09:44 PM

I have the commanders and the bike turns very nice, I get very good mileage, and they are a fair price. I prefer them to the dunlops that come on the stock bike. just my 2 cents, your experience may vary

Radar 07-27-2019 10:56 AM

I have run both. Just installed my second set of Elites. You wont go wrong either way.

MotoJockey 07-27-2019 12:24 PM

I've run Dunlops, Metz 880's and 888's, Continentals, and I'm 10k miles into my 1st set of MCII's and am actually pretty damn impressed with the way they have handled and especially the wear. Of the 10k miles, 3.5k was 2 up with luggage for an 11 day ride around the western US a few weeks ago. After 10k on any other tire and I'd be on Dennis Kirk's or Bike Bandit's website looking for a good price on a replacement. Like I said, 1st set of MCII's but I'll get them again for the SGS. I can't use them on the RK cause I HAVE to have WWW's on that bike and Michelin don't sell those.........

Kainam 07-27-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoJockey (Post 7297159)
After 10k on any other tire and I'd be on Dennis Kirk's or Bike Bandit's website looking for a good price on a replacement.

Thats where Im at now.