Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Oil and Filters (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/oil-filters/)
-   -   Help finding what is leaking (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/oil-filters/366235-help-finding-what-leaking.html)

kansast 09-09-2019 12:13 PM

Help finding what is leaking

1 Attachment(s)
have a 2016 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail with 2,000 miles. I've noticed after being out riding. After the bike is parked. Not immediately. Maybe some 15-20 minutes later something starts dripping. Leaks a bit, and this last for like an hour or so, and then it stops leaking.

I can't tell from where it's leaking from. Other than it's making it's way to the lower frame of the bike on the right hand side. And then dripping to the ground. I've been keeping a constant eye on Engine Oil, Transmission Oil, and the Primary. And everything seems to be where it should be. I really hate not knowing where this is coming from. don't know if anyone might have some ideas or suggestions. I'll include a photo, which shows where about the leak is ending up on the ground compared to the bike. Which I know may not be at all helpful. What ever leaks, goes down. May run along what ever, and then leaks to the ground. when it reaches the lowest point. I have tried to look as best I can, at what seals and drain plugs I can see, and other locations which I can see. Just not seeing where it's coming from.

baggerboy 09-09-2019 12:19 PM

If those exhaust are aftermarket, check the two bolts the the exhaust mount to on the transmission cover. They are known for getting loose and causing an ever so slight leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candyman1340 09-09-2019 12:21 PM

Try looking at the bottom of the air cleaner.

kansast 09-09-2019 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggerboy (Post 7310295)
If those exhaust are aftermarket, check the two bolts the the exhaust mount to on the transmission cover. They are known for getting loose and causing an ever so slight leak.

thanks for the reply, I will do that. I recently bought this bike used. It does have aftermarket python pipes on it.

baggerboy 09-09-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansast (Post 7310299)
thanks for the reply, I will do that. I recently bought this bike used. It does have aftermarket python pipes on it.

Could also be coming from the clutch cable. O-ring where it goes into clutch cover could be gone.

<G Man> 09-09-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman1340 (Post 7310297)
Try looking at the bottom of the air cleaner.

This would be the place to start.

rocky53204 09-09-2019 12:59 PM

What does it smell like... gas, oil, brake fluid... what does it feel like... water, greasy? Let us know what you identify.

SoftailBilly 09-09-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggerboy (Post 7310301)
Could also be coming from the clutch cable. O-ring where it goes into clutch cover could be gone.

Have two friends with touring bikes had the beginnings of a leak at the clutch cable. Mine a 09 had some oily dirt gathering at fitting but no leakage. Put a wrench on it turned slightly more than a 1/4 then felt like it seated using one finger. The other two bikes had similar improperly tightened fittings. Just FYI to you all.

Alan S 09-09-2019 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ;7310303
This would be the place to start.

Or he could crawl on the ground and actually trace the leaking oil to see where it originates.

Sent from here to there.

kansast 09-09-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky53204 (Post 7310307)
What does it smell like... gas, oil, brake fluid... what does it feel like... water, greasy? Let us know what you identify.

From my un-experienced view.. it feels like oil. It accumulates on the bottom of the right side of the frame. Where it eventually leaks to the ground. I can run my fingers along the bottom of the frame, and feel it, to me it feels like oil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan S (Post 7310319)
Or he could crawl on the ground and actually trace the leaking oil to see where it originates.
Sent from here to there.

Wish I had a lift of some kind, someway to jack the bike up high enough. It was all I could do with the help of my phone camera, getting to the drain plug for the transmission when I changed it out the other day. I've tried what I could do to look on the underneath of the bike. Feel like wherever this leak is, it's something to the right side of the bike, don't appear to be anything directly on the bottom of the bike leaking.