Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Sportster General Discussions (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/sportster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How to remove the primary cover off your Sportster (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/sportster-general-discussions/142585-how-remove-primary-cover-off-your-sportster.html)

XL1200R 02-06-2014 06:51 PM

How to remove the primary cover off your Sportster

This is a how to on how to take off the primary cover.

This allows you to replace the clutch (not shown in the tutorial), the primary gasket, the shift shaft seal, the clutch cable, the clutch cable seal, the primary chain tensioner and really anything that is under the primary cover. I did not need to service the clutch in any way so unfortunately you will not see that apart in this tutorial. That being said, I have helped take one off so if you PM me I may be able to assist. I'm not the best resource on that though I would reccommend you post to the forum, use the search function, or PM a smarter member for that info.

XL1200R 02-06-2014 10:49 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Tools you will need:
Inch Pound Torque wrench
3/8in drive ratchet
Hex head sockets in the pictured sizes (not allen wrenches)
Torx sockets as pictured
Attachment 170833

1. Mid controls: Remove the shifter arm bolt as pictured taking the allen screw all the way out then pulling the lever off. You may want to mark the location it was on so that you can match it up on re installation but if you slide it on and sit on the bike you will know right away if it is a tooth off or not. Just personal preference on where you place it.
Attachment 170753

2. Forward controls: Remove the shift linkage in basically the same fashion as above.
Attachment 170761
3. The whole reason I am doing this is because of that massive leak!
Attachment 170769
4. Take one or both of the footpeg bolts out if you have mid pegs. Disregard this if you have forward controls.
Attachment 170777

5. Remove the primary inspection cover with the two screws. Be careful not to loose any of the three oil seals. One for each bolt and a big one on the back of the cover.
Attachment 170785

6. Take all of the derby cover bolts off. Yea…mine is so scratched up from my boots, salt, dirt, snow, rain…you name it.
Attachment 170793

7-8. Take the clutch adjustment spring out
Attachment 170801
Attachment 170809

9. Look along the frame rail above the oil filter for the clutch cable adjuster
Attachment 170817

XL1200R 02-06-2014 10:59 PM

10 Attachment(s)
10. Slide the rubber off the adjustment shaft off (let me save Chief Illiniwek some work Xl1200R said rubber and shaft ahahahah) anyways then tighten the cable. I put that in quotes because we are really loosening the cable but the treads will disappear when it loosens making it look like you tightened it. Just turn the damn thing clockwise for god sakes!
Attachment 170841

11. Now screw in the little flathead screw on the clutch ball and ramp assembly. Screwing it in(clockwise) will again actually loosen it up.
Attachment 170849

12. Pull it out
Attachment 170857

13. Turn the ball and ramp assembly (under my thumb) 90 degrees from where it is in the picture to free it from the clutch cable.
Attachment 170865

14. Start unscrewing the primary cover. It will stick to the engine case dont free it yet. NOTE: there are two little alignment stud things. They are barrel shaped and are guide sleeves for when you put the new gasket on DONT LOOSE THEM
Attachment 170873

15. Under the clutch lever there is a little C-clip that holds the clutch on its pivot point. Take it out and slide the pin up and out freeing the clutch lever from the assembly.
Attachment 170881
Attachment 170889

16. Break the case free. To do this I used a rubber mallet. Dont hit it with anything other than your hands or rubber mallet or you will just break stuff. Also, just tap on it you dont need to kill it. Its only head on at this point by the gasket being stuck to the engine case and the cover.
Attachment 170897

17. Where I am pointing is where one of the little sleeve things I was talking about goes. It is a noticeably larger hole than the bolt holes so it isnt too hard to tell.
Attachment 170913

Reassemble in reverse. The torque spec for the Primary cover is 100-120 inch pounds. Follow that pattern when tightening the bolts.
Attachment 170921

Once you take it all off it is pretty easy to see how stuff goes back on. Be careful lining up the gasket with the primary cover. It isnt too hard. I would replace the shift shaft seal and the clutch cable seal no matter what because they are cheap but take all tat work to get to!! Lastly, you can technically use a pick and get the shift shaft seal out. There is nothing holding it in from the inside. Problem is, I dont think you will get the new one installed correctly so you will not ever help the problem. Could be worth a try though.

XL1200R 02-06-2014 11:08 PM

I am adding this post so that I can post more pictures that I think I may have tomorrow. It is late I will finish this when I am less tired as it is filled with crappy grammar and stuff now thanks to my weariness.

CaptainReza 02-07-2014 07:51 AM

Awesome job!!! Invaluable help to those like myself who can do it with proper direction!
Keep up the good work!

GotGold 02-07-2014 08:23 AM

Great post XL1200.. I don't know if you want to add this or not, but on the shifter, removing the bolt completely is necessary.. it will keep you from trying to slide off the shifter with a pry bar and scratching the beejeezus out of your cover.... don't ask....

XL1200R 02-07-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotGold (Post 2070930)
Great post XL1200.. I don't know if you want to add this or not, but on the shifter, removing the bolt completely is necessary.. it will keep you from trying to slide off the shifter with a pry bar and scratching the beejeezus out of your cover.... don't ask....

I already mentioned that but apparently it was easy to skip over so I bolded it in hopes someone won't miss it. Thanks for the tip!

GotGold 02-07-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XL1200R (Post 2071330)
I already mentioned that but apparently it was easy to skip over so I bolded it in hopes someone won't miss it. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah the shop manual was very clear about it too, and yet I just had to try a short cut..:banghead

XL1200R 02-07-2014 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotGold (Post 2071354)
Yeah the shop manual was very clear about it too, and yet I just had to try a short cut..:banghead

Been there done that. If you didn't break anything its ok though!

If you did that means you really learned a lesson!

Oboylej 07-30-2014 09:59 AM

Thanks! Big help and very informative! I did hit a snag though.
When I reassembled everything the clutch ball and ramp assembly set a bit deeper and the second lock-nut wont make contact now, any ideas?