Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Sportster General Discussions (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/sportster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tired of all the Sportster Hatorade (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/sportster-general-discussions/365685-tired-all-sportster-hatorade.html)

Briano 08-02-2019 10:05 PM

Tired of all the Sportster Hatorade

I've owned an FXR, 2 Dynas and 3 years ago traded in my 2010 Custom Road Glide and bought a new 2016 48. My 48 is smoother and way more fun on the freeway and around town than all my past Big Twins. I don't tour so I don't take long trips but a hundred miles is no big deal on my bike. When the 48 came out in 2010 I fell in love with the bike. Than I test rode it and it was like riding a hard tail. Fast forward to 2016 and I saw this green (olive gold) at my local dealership and had to have it. With updated wheels and suspension the ride was amazing to match the looks of the cycle. Traded in my bagger and haven't looked back.

Tired of seeing all the hate of sporties online and ignorance of the most bulletproof Harley makes. I haven't written here in a looooong time and wanted to here from any of you riders. Especially from those Sportster riders who have compared all the styles and chose the "girl bike".

Alan S 08-02-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briano (Post 7299119)
updated wheels and suspension the ride was amazing to match the looks of the cycle.

Congrats on your ride. Updating the suspension on any bike makes it smoother.

My FXR rides like a Cadillac since I upgraded all 4 corners. Absorbs 98% of the rotten roads we have here.

And Sportster are fun bikes.

Sent from here to there.

JPR 08-02-2019 11:52 PM

The sportster is not a girlie bike. It sprang from the Harley racing division back in the mid 50’s. I bought mine new in 1968 and it was a great bike in my college town surrounded by 2 lane county roads through the Hoosier National Forest.

It out ran anybike back then including Vets and other super cars. The Japanese 3 cylinder bikes in the early 70’s were quicker but uncomfortable and had a short useful life. The Sporster still lives, they do not.

The stock full size baggers didn’t have the acceleration of the stock sporster for 40 years. It was “the” bike and still looks, rides and sounds great (drag pipes). You can still find 2 versions of it on the dealer floors.

I had the 883 and now the 1690 Heritage (2012). Rode the sporty for 11 years without any mechanical problems. Chopped it. Wish I still had it.

I have pics in my images files under my Avatar.

RJ64 08-03-2019 01:11 AM

First HD I ever wanted was an '86 883. Didn't have the $3995 to pony up for one. Fast forward to 2019. In May bought an '05 Custom that has been....well....customed. Then 2 weeks later bought an Iron 1200 on the Freedom Promise deal. Almost got the '48 Special because of the cool tank logo, but anyway I finally have the Sportster itch scratched. It's a great handling bike and gets better fuel economy than I thought it would. And the 1200 has plenty of stock power and so far have left it that way. The '05 is carbed and drag pipes with lollipops completes that scene. I love them both. I may end up trading the Iron for a Soft-tail later, but that will depend on what the dealer has at the time, and what mood I'm in. I have a big Honda for touring so I really don't need another one that size. As far as the girl bike thing or ribbing anyone's choice of brand/size/engine etc, I've heard a ton of junk over the years and don't really care. No one makes my payments and my happiness is not contingent on what other people think anyway.

jpassh2o 08-03-2019 08:34 AM

To each their own..... everyone has different aspirations for what they want out of a motorcycle. We all deal with the HD haters crowd..... of course most of em hate because they really desire a Harley Davidson.... best to ignore the haters.... ride and enjoy whatever you have!

southernman_67 08-03-2019 08:44 AM

It's kind of like wearing a pink shirt. Do you really give a flying fock what anybody else thinks about how you dress or what you ride? I damn sure don't. I wear what I want, ride what I want, and do what I want (if my wife let's me). FWIW, my wife has a pink sporty that I ride occasionally. She's looking at another back surgery and can't ride for now, so I take it out for a spin every now and then. It's a blast to ride, but if I am going to be out all day, I prefer my Dyna or Ultra.

Alan S 08-03-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpassh2o (Post 7299203)
We all deal with the HD haters crowd..... of course most of em hate because they really desire a Harley Davidson....

Could be the reason there's so many imitations.[emoji1]

Sent from here to there.

Thunder~Struck 08-03-2019 10:31 AM

I`m still trying to figure out what "Hatorade" is. :dunno

Curious about "motive" too. :think

Smoketown$1 08-03-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernman_67 (Post 7299209)
It's kind of like wearing a pink shirt. Do you really give a flying fock what anybody else thinks about how you dress or what you ride? I damn sure don't. I wear what I want, ride what I want, and do what I want (if my wife let's me). FWIW, my wife has a pink sporty that I ride occasionally. She's looking at another back surgery and can't ride for now, so I take it out for a spin every now and then. It's a blast to ride, but if I am going to be out all day, I prefer my Dyna or Ultra.

It's SALMON, my shirt is SALMON ...

Hatorade ... Cute ... Probably rides a Sportster. :devil

Hated my XLCH ... Just like the Limey bikes, the shifter was on the wrong damn side! (I never could get used to that.)

Cheers,
Smoketown

jpassh2o 08-03-2019 12:35 PM