Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Touring General Discussions (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/touring-general-discussions/)
-   -   2002 Harley DTC's (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/touring-general-discussions/365137-2002-harley-dtcs.html)

norm9278 06-28-2019 08:59 AM

2002 Harley DTC's

Ok guys, I've tried the search function and the only thing I've found helpful was a sticky that listed the procedure and codes, but nothing makes sense to me.
Working on my '02 RK. The CEL flashes from time to time while riding so I pulled the codes.
23, 32 and 41.
The 23 refers to ET sensor? Anybody have a clue what that might be? It's a 2002 for Pete's sake...
The 32 is rear cylinder misfire? The bike runs like a scalded dog! Never noticed any misfire...
The 41 is for the CEL not working? Well it lights up at key on, and flashes the codes, so I'm lost here.
Thanks in advance....

Sent from my coal fired bag phone using Tapatalk

misinlink 06-28-2019 09:20 AM

2002 Harley DTC's

Et=Engine temp... maybe.

On my 99 23 &32 are fuel injector codes.

23- front
32 - rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norm9278 06-28-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misinlink (Post 7288395)
Et=Engine temp... maybe.

On my 99 23 &32 are fuel injector codes.

23- front
32 - rear

I'm just going by the info in the sticky, so maybe yours is correct? Dunno.
The engine does stumble once in a great while, just for an instant, like hitting the kill switch....hummm

baggerboy 06-28-2019 11:25 AM

23 = front injector open/low or high
32= rear injector open/low or high
41= CKP sensor intermittent or synch error

Straight out of the manual. Cant tell if its the first part of explanation or the or part without a scan tool. Hope this helps.

norm9278 06-28-2019 05:08 PM

Thanks Baggerboy. I'm waiting on a manual, I thought that the codes in the sticky weren't making sense.
Anyone have any ideas where to start looking?
Would the procedures for checking the injectors and crank sensor be the same as the newer (as in '04) bikes? I do have the manual for my '04 Road Glide.

EvoRK 06-28-2019 05:30 PM

Yes your 04 book will work

baggerboy 06-28-2019 08:51 PM

I would start with the crank sensor. Disconnect the plug and ohm the two pins coming from the sensor. Should be around 1k ohms.

norm9278 07-02-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggerboy (Post 7288545)
I would start with the crank sensor. Disconnect the plug and ohm the two pins coming from the sensor. Should be around 1k ohms.

Ok, traced the harness from the CKP to it's connector behind the ECM and checked resistance between the pins. 1.2k ohms.

Manual says to check volts while cranking. Pulled ECM fuse and cranked, my DVOM is showing from 0 to 4.2VAC.

Put it back together and started it up. Ran for about 30 seconds and stalled, battery went dead trying to restart. Now on charger and waiting....

Update;
Got it started after charging the battery, checked charging system, checked OK.

Where to go from here? Manual still 3 days out...

So I'm looking around for loose, chewed on wiring and stuff and found a hose missing on the throttle body? Haven't been able to find the hose yet....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e6744c365a.jpg

baggerboy 07-02-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norm9278 (Post 7289431)
Ok, traced the harness from the CKP to it's connector behind the ECM and checked resistance between the pins. 1.2k ohms.

Manual says to check volts while cranking. Pulled ECM fuse and cranked, my DVOM is showing from 0 to 4.2VAC.

Put it back together and started it up. Ran for about 30 seconds and stalled, battery went dead trying to restart. Now on charger and waiting....

Update;
Got it started after charging the battery, checked charging system, checked OK.

Where to go from here? Manual still 3 days out...

Is it still throwing the CKP code? Next step is to reset codes and try starting bike with a know good CKP sensor to see if it clears the problem. Also make sure you have performed the wiggle test to make sure you have ruled out intermittents. I have an 03 RK in shop right now with the same problem. Since I dont have a known good sensor, I ordered on that will be in this afternoon. The CKP sensor can give all kinds of problems and sometimes not even send a code. Short of you having some wiring or ecm issues, I would say you have a bad CKP sensor.

baggerboy 07-02-2019 01:49 PM

Just seen the picture and updated post. That is a purge fitting for the California models. Unless you have one, there wont be a hose connected to it.