Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/)
-   Softail General Discussions (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/softail-general-discussions/)
-   -   Water in gas (https://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/softail-general-discussions/365941-water-gas.html)

Tugboatdave 08-18-2019 07:51 AM

Water in gas

My 07 softail started spitting and sputtering yesterday. I thought it may water in the gas, but I had already ridden 40 miles. I added SEA FOAM and rode maybe a mile or so. If SEA FOAM can eliminate the problem, how long will it take. When I opened the throttle it acted like it wasn't getting any gas. Please advise.

SCHMIDTY 08-18-2019 08:01 AM

IMO it'll take more than a mile for the Sea Foam to have an affect. Maybe time to clean out the IAC pintle and port.

Ddaddyo 08-18-2019 08:02 AM

Make sure the Battery connections are clean & tight on both ends. Why do you think it's Water in the Gas, did you just put Gas in it? Is it showing any Codes?

candyman1340 08-18-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tugboatdave (Post 7303843)
My 07 softail started spitting and sputtering yesterday. I thought it may water in the gas, but I had already ridden 40 miles. I added SEA FOAM and rode maybe a mile or so. If SEA FOAM can eliminate the problem, how long will it take. When I opened the throttle it acted like it wasn't getting any gas. Please advise.

Instead of adding stuff to bad gas trying to make it good , drain the bad gas, and refill with fresh gas.

Thunder~Struck 08-18-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ddaddyo (Post 7303847)
Make sure the Battery connections are clean & tight on both ends. Why do you think it's Water in the Gas, did you just put Gas in it? Is it showing any Codes?

My first question too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman1340 (Post 7303855)
Instead of adding stuff to bad gas trying to make it good , drain the bad gas, and refill with fresh gas.

Ass-u-me-ing it is bad gas. :dunno

Tugboatdave 08-18-2019 01:02 PM

thanks. I appreciate any help and comments.

Thunder~Struck 08-18-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tugboatdave (Post 7303957)
thanks. I appreciate any help and comments.

Can't help much if you do not answer questions.

Dan89flstc 08-20-2019 06:14 PM

In almost 50 years of riding and driving, I have never got any bad gas from a gas station...

Bad gas would be very low on my list of possible causes.

Remember when the lady at the gas station told Bronson, "Mister, I just put weed killer in your motorcycle by mistake"?