2001 Fuel Injection Fuel Pump?? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

2001 Fuel Injection Fuel Pump??

My wife's 01 Springer Softail has been sitting in a garage for about 2 years without starting because of a serious accident we we had in late 2007. In late 2008, I changed the oil and filters and put fresh gas in and let it run for about a half an hour. In the last week I have put in a new Harley Battery, a new battery in the security key fob and drained and replaced the old gas.. It turns over great with good spark but no fuel coming thru to the cyldinders. Checked the fuse for the fuel pump and it's good.

The bike has a Power Commander, custom exhaust and air filter. How do I check the fuel filter to see if it's functioning???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 PM

when you turn the ign on do you here the pump run, a few secs to build press ?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

I can hear the pump run but only for less than a sec... My dresser is sitting next to her springer. When I hit the ignition on the dresser, I hear the pump run for about a second and a half but when I hit the ignition on the springer, the pump only runs for about a half second..

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:00 PM
"Nervous Tick"

varnished up ??
filter contamination possible too....IMHO

I didnt buy a Sportster because I wanted a Harley,
I bought a Harley because I wanted a "Sportster"....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:48 PM

Im sure somebody that knows this bike will chime in, as gruss stated the most likely. I "think" your filter is part of the pump / sender assy and is contained in a pod. I beleive the regular service intervil is 50 k .
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
The fuel pump should turn on for 3 seconds . With an EFI fuel delivery problem the fuel pump pressure test would isolate the problem . The pump pressure tester is installed in series with the tank feed hose . Try disconnecting then reconnecting the fuel feed hose , sometimes the fuel bung check valve can stick causing problems .

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Where's a good place to unhook that hose???? If its under pressure, I'll have to be very careful...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flhtcCarl View Post
Where's a good place to unhook that hose???? If its under pressure, I'll have to be very careful...
Remove the feed hose at the tank bung . If you've got two hoses , feed and return , the feed is the front one . If you've got one hose then push up on the collar to release it from the bung . Don't worry to much about the pressure build up , that will bleed off , or just wrap a rag around it . If the check valve is stuck the fuel will keep leaking out of the bung with the line removed so I would do this with the tank as empty as possible . Also the check valve could be loose in the bung , there's a special tool to tighten it but an auto drag link socket works in a pinch .

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Her bike has the single hose at the LH rear of the tank... I removed it by lifting the chrome ring and it popped off easily.. There was no leakage from the tank but there was no leakage from the disconnected hose either...

Seems like something is plugged up.... Maybe I'll have to pop the top off of that tank and take the fuel pump module out... Do I need a new gasket for the trap door on top of the tank???

What do I look for when I have the fuell pump in my hand??? Is it a matter of just buying new pump and filters???
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
The gasket is usually reusable unless it's torn . There's a trick with getting the pump out of the tank . You have to reach in with a long screwdriver and trip the lever that holds the pickup so it'll straighten out , same thing when putting it back in . Look for a hole in the feed hose that's connected to the pump . You can connect the wires to the pump and turn the ignition on with the pump pulled partially up to see if a hose is leaking . You'll have to cut the hose clamps to get the pump out and they're metric .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode