Harley Davidson Forums banner

Fuel injection problem

22K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  sshaydogg 
#1 ·
Picked up a 1998 electra glide ultra 2 days ago. Started but had to use throttle to keep running. When warmed up, it idled and ran on the road very smooth. Decided to reset TPS. So reset at recommended .270v (was at .511v), and reset cold idle at recommended .650v. On cold restart, would not idle without throttle, ran rough and backfired through exhaust and throttle body. When warmed, idled very rough. Being new to injection systems, what did I screw up? Any help greatly appreciated.

#30 ·
Ok, manual still not here, so decided to install head temp sensor while waiting. 1) Seat off, remove front fuel crossover hose.Loosen back fuel tank bolt about 1/2" out. Remove 2 front fuel tank bolts. Use 1x2 on edge to prop tank up...watch for wiring...don't pinch. Also don't overstretch efi fuel lines.
2) Remove ignition coil , as box prevents socket from lining up with temp sensor. Wish I had a swivel socket fitting, might have saved this step.
2) Remove sensor with 3/4" deep socket. Had to get small slot screwdriver and flashlight to get harness lock tab loose.
3) Install new sensor, starting by hand (crossthreading sucks).

#33 ·
Have not gotten that far yet. Got manual today, so have been reading up, getting acquainted with bike. Lots of maintenance to do ( but I do want to get to efi soon). Probably 100+ pages just on EFI.
Did you get to try the pin video on your current project you mentioned? I really want to get mine running properly again (like it was before I screwed it up). New sensor should cure cold idle problem. 2 or 3 more items and should be ready for another try. Looking for tips in manual, too.

#34 ·
Schmidty : Finally dry here so was able to get back on efi. A lot of carb cleaner for all linkage, etc. Was showing 11 code,TPS. Checked throttle cable and sure enough, was set tight. Loosened till slack, butterflies did not move. Manually closed and it moved 1/32 -1/16" more closed. Aha! Had to manually close several more times to get it to stay. Small shot of wd40 on shaft freed it up. So pulled ecm fuse to clear code. Reset TPS @ .265v. Fired right up! Set cold idle to recommended v, waited till it warmed up, set warm idle to 1050 rpm. Turned off, and fired right up again. ETS was defenitely problem with cold idle. RPM stepped right down warming up. Thankful to you and other posters for help. You gave me confidence I could get it done.
If you ever ride thru Texarkana down Hwy 59 pm me. About 35 mi. south of there.Always a place to rest at our house and all the beer, brisket, and smoked pork butt you can eat.

#41 ·
Man this was a good thread. Found a lot I never knew to save that I never knew about that system. Shmidty knows a thing or two about Harleys lol

but shmidty was that video a doable way on a bone stock bike or should we disregard that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.