• 2 Post By SCHMIDTY
  • 2 Post By Jack Ryan
  • 1 Post By Jack Ryan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Mr.

Garage
Petcock Parts ?

I've got a 1988 Softail custom. On the fuel petcock there are two screws on either side of the lever to change fuel settings, holds that plate on and the petcock in. I lost one of those screws. Are they just standard 6/32?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:42 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
I've got a 1988 Softail custom. On the fuel petcock there are two screws on either side of the lever to change fuel settings, holds that plate on and the petcock in. I lost one of those screws. Are they just standard 6/32?
Most likely metric. Put a clamp or vice grip to hold the plate in place then take the other screw with ya to the hdwr. store to get a matching screw.
Smoketown$1 and Jack Ryan like this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Mr.

Garage
Thanks. That is kinda, about where I'm at now.

That day I was in town when I noticed and just went straight to the local little bike shop. Some old guy runs it and sells used and refurbished bikes and I bought a petcock off him once. So I've seen his stock of "Stuff I've collected...". All of a sudden it is a huge inconvenience apparently for a customer to come in and interrupt his book reading. "Nope, don't have not screws or little parts or nothing. You'll have to find a petcock to take that out of some where."

All I can say is that shop better really be "Just a hobby to keep me busy."

Walked next door to the hardware store and they let me walk in and out with little nuts and bolts until one seemed to fit. I was just hoping to confirm here it was the correct thread before I really screw it in there the way it should be, in case it just wasn't quite the right thread.

Thanks guys. Now I'm home with it all and a little pocket full of assortment including nuts I can screw the one original screw in to test it, I think I'm good.
Kainam and Smoketown$1 like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Mr.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTY View Post
Most likely metric. Put a clamp or vice grip to hold the plate in place then take the other screw with ya to the hdwr. store to get a matching screw.
You were right. Those are metric, M4 thread.

I pulled out the one I had left and tested it in the plastic nut I brought home the other day. Just about, but no cigar, so I took it to town with me and stopped to try the metric stuff at the hardware store. The M4 nut breezed up and down like it was made for it. So I got a half dozen extras to carry in my "tool" bag and put it all back together when I got home.

Went out for a little cool off ride and the bike and I both just seemed happier knowing all was right again.
SCHMIDTY likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode