Harley Davidson Forums banner

Carb off, fuel. Carb on, No fuel

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Smoketown$1 
#1 ·
So I have 97 Fxdwg. It was sitting for 9 months. Accelerator pump nozzle wasnt spraying spraying fuel into carb. Get carb all clean. Soak jets and lower bowl in vinger and lemon juice. Check it off the bike sprays fuel perfectly. Put it on the bike and after a couple throttle twists I get no fuel out of the nozzle.

Drain my gas tank because I've had these paint chips coming loose from a previous owners lining of the tank. (Attached pic). After draining there was definitely dirt and sediment in the bottom of the bucket. (Attach pic of fuel filter). Brand new fuel line from petcock to carb inlet.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Don't eat the paint chips!.......they'll give you gas. :grin

Take the tank off and clean out the inside as best you can. Rinse out the tank.
Put some nuts and bolts inside the tank (count them.... so you'll know how many to remove when you are done) and shake the tank to loosen the pealing paint inside the tank.......several old pillows and a clothes dryer will speed up the process and give you time to do more important things. :drink

#4 ·
Had tank cleaned at a local shop. Bought a new fuel valve kit with filter and all. James carb rebuild kit, new fuel hoses. When carb is off bike, fuel comes thru accelerator pump nozzle. When I put it on the bike, no fuel going to the carb. Fuel is on. Gas in tank. No fuel. Im at a total loss

#8 ·
Remove the fuel hose from the carb and put it in a container.

Turn on the petcock.

Does fuel run out of the hose?

No?

Attach vacuum line to the vacuum port on the petcock and attach a low volume vacuum pump. ('Oral' works too. Just pinch the hose with Vise-grips so you don't lose the vacuum.)

Fuel run now?

No?

Take petcock apart as you may have a bad diaphragm. Some replacements are/were available from the dealer. Otherwise, it may be new petcock time.

If you're cheap, cut half of the pin length off of the diaphragm and put it back together. Just remember to turn off the fuel when you park the bike.

Good aftermarket ones cost about what a replacement one costs. They also require you to turn off the fuel when you park the bike but, they're almost bullet-proof.

A replacement stock one will cost about the same as the one above but, in theory, if the bike is not running the fuel will not drain into the motor.

Cheers,
Smoketown

#11 · (Edited)
OK.

Remove fuel line from petcock and put a longer hose on it.

Remove the gas cap.

Hook-up the low-pressure vacuum pump to the vacuum port on the petcock.

Blow into the (longer) fuel line. (I would NOT use compressed air.)

Start to slowly draw a vacuum with the hand pump.

Can you hear or see bubbles in the tank?

If not, you have a blockage.

If you do see and hear bubbles, you may have just cleared your fuel filter which will clog-up again.

Drain tank and clean it again. Then, check each piece individually when you re-install them.

If your city/state was in your info, perhaps someone nearby might P/M you and offer a look at your fuel system. (Or, you could trailer your bike to him or her.)

Worse case ... You'd be out a few beers.

Cheers,
Smoketown

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.