I'm Really Impressed With My New(er) 2016 RGU - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I'm Really Impressed With My New(er) 2016 RGU

Loved my '13 RGC but have been wanting the tour pak, Boombox 6.5, larger diameter forks, Daymakers, etc. that started coming out on the Rushmore bikes. After watching the ads, dealer inventories, etc. finally found the right bike at the right price about 3 weeks ago. It is absolutely CRIMINAL what dealers are asking for a '15 or '16 low mileage RGU. The one I got is two tone red, lots of mods, Stage 1, slightly less than 10K on the clock. And also sold my '13 off of Craigslist--now that was a relief!

Filled my tank on the way in early last night. Jiggled and jiggled and rocked it a little and tried to get every drop in I could, just like I did last time I filled up. Took 4.3 gallons and I had gone 212 miles. Wow! That's 49 mpg! And those 212 miles were a mix of suburban/metro riding and a little slab time but no stop and go traffic situations. Fill up before last night was very similar but I didn't calculate the mpg. On my '13 after I had gone 150-170 miles I was filling up. Never really checked the mileage on the '13 but unless I was on a trip I NEVER got 200 miles on a tank of gas. And this gas gauge really does seem pretty accurate. Last night when I put 4.3 gallons in it the gauge was showing right at a quarter tank and my r miles was about 50 or so. On my '13 the gauge would stay on F forever--then when it moved and got to a half it dropped like a rock.

And the speedo on this '16 is just about dead on--might be 1 mph fast but no more than 1, according to my Boombox GPS (ain't they great?). My '13 speedo, per the numerous times I checked it against those portable radar units on utility trailers they put out at various places to flash your speed at you, was always 3 mph fast.

I'm still trying to get used to the seating position. Too far forward compared to my seating on a Corbin seat on my '13. And both shift levers were much too high from what I was used to on my '13. My left foot seemed to be "grabbing a lot of air" and I had to lift my leg a really noticeable amount to shift and that combined with sitting more forward than I was used to wasn't good. Lowered both shift levers and that helps a lot. And the PO had altered/replaced in some manner the rear brake pedal and you barely have to lift your right foot at all to brake. Bike came with a backrest and I may use it on trips but around town I prefer to leave it off. Don't know if I will get comfortable with this seat and sitting more forward over time--I hope so cause I don't wanna spring for another seat. But if I do, any suggestions for a seat that will sit me further back?

Now, I will, probably in the Spring, replace those crappy air shocks but for now they aren't leaking down and the bike is 2 years old. With the larger diameter forks and linked brakes I probably won't put in the Progressive monotubes like I did on my '13.

My indy did my 10K service last week. He pulled and checked and regapped my plugs and he said "Plugs from both cylinders are the perfect color--don't change nuthin" so I won't be playing with the FP3--if it ain't broke don't fix it.

OK, this bike isn't as quick as my '13 with cams was, and these V & H Hi-Flow mufflers sound barely louder than stock (I do miss my 4" Rinehart tru duals) so instead of my pipes I listen to my music. The PO had upgraded speakers and whatnots--don't know the details but the stereo is AWESOME.

So, all things considered, I'm a damn happy camper and just wanted you all to know about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:34 PM
Glad it worked out for ya Joe... enjoy!
Louisville Joe and Jimmers like this.

2013 Ultra Classic
Midnight Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
SE Race Tuner, SE Ventilator AC
RC Component Mufflers
Fullsac Head Pipe
Dyno tuned
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:44 PM

Congrats!!!! Love my 2015 rgs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Louisville Joe likes this.

2013 Vivid Black Road Glide
Rochester NY

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:07 PM

Garage
Glad you?re happy Joe. I?m looking forward to seeing it at C6.

2011 Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCU
FM 107 10.5:1 | Woods 777 Cams | Jackpot 2/1/2 SPC | Jackpot 4" Dyno Tuned Mufflers | DynoJet PowerVision
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Viet Nam 69/70

Garage
Nice sounds like a keeper.

Life: VFW, NRA, NYSRPA(NYS Rifle Pistol Association)
2 favorite signs
CAUTION we do not dial 911 first.
DANGER if you are reading this U R in range.

05 FLSTC, 08 FLHTCUSE3

C4 IRONBALLS

C4 2016 Ironbutt 1226 miles 19.5 hours

Retired 1SG US Army

Where Nagalot and I have been on bike
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:31 PM
old scoot coot

Garage
congrats on your new scoot joe. i can't wait to see it. i really like red. glad you found what you wanted and happy also for the new owner of the '13 that is a really nice scoot also. enjoy that purdy new red harley joe. see ya in bardstown! tommy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:34 PM
old scoot coot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey13118 View Post
Nice sounds like a keeper.
so is yours harvey! a beautiful harley.
harvey13118 likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytailspin View Post
congrats on your new scoot joe. i can't wait to see it. i really like red. glad you found what you wanted and happy also for the new owner of the '13 that is a really nice scoot also. enjoy that purdy new red harley joe. see ya in bardstown! tommy
Thanks, Tommy. Got to tell you a bit about the guy who bought my '13. He is from Scottsburg, IN, about 35 miles North of me. He has NEVER RIDDEN anything except some dirt bikes way back when. But he has a buddy who also recently upgraded to a '16 RG not long ago so he was definitely looking for a RG. He works at the Ford truck plant not too far from me so he came out to look at the bike late on a Saturday afternoon on his way to work. He looked, we talked, rolled it out of the garage and fired it up, etc. He seemed to like the bike but had to talk with his bank on Monday. Called Monday evening to say he would take the bike but he had to coordinate with his buddy who would either bring his trailer or ride my bike back to Scottsburg for the buyer. And he stalled me a couple of times cause either his bank wasn't working very quick and/or his buddy with the trailer wasn't available. So, I was having some doubts about his sincerity. But he came through about a week later, showed up with his buddy who was pulling a trailer, gave me the certified check and I signed the title over to him. Well, actually, my wife signed it over to him cause her name was on the title also and that way I was able to notarize it. Another interesting point is I was asking $14,500 for my bike and he never once asked me if I would take any less. So, he bought it for $14,500. And I'm glad he came through because he was the ONLY person who ever called about my Craigslist ad. I'm so relieved I won't be sitting on two bikes through the winter.

See ya in Bardstown!
OZman and Jimmers like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:59 PM
luv the low country

Congrats! Red on red works for me.

If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under. Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 09:20 PM

Garage
Nothin' better than a happy owner!! Great gas mileage Joe...my ultra gets about 41 around town...much better on the road! Enjoy!

2015 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
2007 Softail Standard
USAF Veteran
Central Texas PGR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode