Got lectured by millennial sport bike rider! - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Chief Gate Attendant

Got lectured by millennial sport bike rider!

I was driving down US19 in Port Richey Florida when I changed lanes from the far right to the middle. Checking my mirrors, I saw a couple sport bikes back at least 1000 feet, in the middle lane I was moving to. Thinking I had plenty of time, I signaled and changed slowly but at the rate of speed the sport bikes were traveling, they were on me as soon as I was crossing the line with my blinker still on. The one in front revved his motor way up as he went around me. They got stopped at the next red light and I was now behind them. The one who revved his motor turned around and looked at me, and I just lifted my hands as to say, "what"! Well, he then dismounted his bike (stoplight still red) and walked over to my drivers side and told me I took half of his lane. I replied that I signaled well in advance, and by the way, I ride too buddy. He then said, "use your eyes, use your eyes" and walked back to his bike, the light already green. They both sprinted off the line and were weaving in and out of traffic far in front of me. Had I not just gotten out of surgery 6 weeks ago, I may have reacted a bit differently. Bottom line is, I didn't know what his intentions were when he approached my window, he could have easily tried to throw a punch at me. Thankfully nothing happened.

Retired CPA (Certified Pain in the Ass)
Guitar player and collector
Gate Attendant at Gulf Harbors Beach Club

2015 FLHTKL Ultra Limited Low-Silver/Black
Stage One with Rinehart Racing exhaust
HD Tall Boy saddle

2002 FXDLG Dyna Low Glide Custom-Silver
Stage One with Vance & Hines straight shots
Arlen Ness Monster Sucker intake
Mustang two-up saddle
Lots'O'Chrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo53 View Post
I was driving down US19 in Port Richey Florida when I changed lanes from the far right to the middle. Checking my mirrors, I saw a couple sport bikes back at least 1000 feet, in the middle lane I was moving to. Thinking I had plenty of time, I signaled and changed slowly but at the rate of speed the sport bikes were traveling, they were on me as soon as I was crossing the line with my blinker still on. The one in front revved his motor way up as he went around me. They got stopped at the next red light and I was now behind them. The one who revved his motor turned around and looked at me, and I just lifted my hands as to say, "what"! Well, he then dismounted his bike (stoplight still red) and walked over to my drivers side and told me I took half of his lane. I replied that I signaled well in advance, and by the way, I ride too buddy. He then said, "use your eyes, use your eyes" and walked back to his bike, the light already green. They both sprinted off the line and were weaving in and out of traffic far in front of me. Had I not just gotten out of surgery 6 weeks ago, I may have reacted a bit differently. Bottom line is, I didn't know what his intentions were when he approached my window, he could have easily tried to throw a punch at me. Thankfully nothing happened.
ROAD RAGE !

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:18 PM

Chill. There are lots of selfish folks, ignorant folks, rude folks and others all running around loose. Pay them no mind.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Chief Gate Attendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTY View Post
ROAD RAGE !
Could have resulted in that!!
slingshot383 likes this.

Retired CPA (Certified Pain in the Ass)
Guitar player and collector
Gate Attendant at Gulf Harbors Beach Club

2015 FLHTKL Ultra Limited Low-Silver/Black
Stage One with Rinehart Racing exhaust
HD Tall Boy saddle

2002 FXDLG Dyna Low Glide Custom-Silver
Stage One with Vance & Hines straight shots
Arlen Ness Monster Sucker intake
Mustang two-up saddle
Lots'O'Chrome
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:37 PM
Try'n to behave

That riders reaction was wrong. He should never have gotten off his bike. Could create a very bad situation for all involved. You didn't know how he was going to react and he didn't know if you had a defensive tool or not.

But...I'll be the devil's advocate for a minute. You should have gauged those riders speed a little better and not changed lanes. Just because you signaled early doesn't mean a driver/rider in another lane HAS to let you move. That signal is a statement of desire in that situation and is 100% dependent on the other lanes occupant to let you over, and just because you physically could move, doesn't mean you should.

If the roles were reversed, everyone here would be pissed at the cager for coming over on you...and rightfully so.

Not coming down on you, 'cuz everyone makes mistakes and at least this one didn't hurt anyone. I am also glad that there was no escalation of the confrontation beyond words.

That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety-Benjamin Franklin 1759

Running is not a plan, running is what you do when your plan fails.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:28 PM

I guy that I know well was in his car at a stoplight when a guy walked up and took a swing, the guy i know grabbed the mad guys arm and floored it, and hung on to the stupid guys arm for some time. People that ride or drive like idiots usually think bad things that happen to them are the fault of someone else. The guy I know thinks that the skinned up guy may have been under the influence of something or just really stupid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:37 AM
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloguy View Post
I guy that I know well was in his car at a stoplight when a guy walked up and took a swing, the guy i know grabbed the mad guys arm and floored it, and hung on to the stupid guys arm for some time. People that ride or drive like idiots usually think bad things that happen to them are the fault of someone else. The guy I know thinks that the skinned up guy may have been under the influence of something or just really stupid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Worked with a guy several years back, who had a early 70s Corvette project car. He took off one day for lunch and made a wrong turn into a dead end street, so he turned around to get back on track and this guy of urban complexion stuck his head in the passenger side window and said "This is a robbery". My friend goes "Like hell it is", and punched it with the guy partially in the passenger side. Eventually the guy fell out, and with any luck, he cracked his melon (is that racist?) on the pavement.

Mala Ipsa Nova
Psalm 144:1 Luke 22:36

'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59

http://weathersticker.wunderground.c...ansas_City.gif
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:43 AM
Wayward Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred8er View Post
That riders reaction was wrong. He should never have gotten off his bike. Could create a very bad situation for all involved. You didn't know how he was going to react and he didn't know if you had a defensive tool or not.

But...I'll be the devil's advocate for a minute. You should have gauged those riders speed a little better and not changed lanes. Just because you signaled early doesn't mean a driver/rider in another lane HAS to let you move. That signal is a statement of desire in that situation and is 100% dependent on the other lanes occupant to let you over, and just because you physically could move, doesn't mean you should.

If the roles were reversed, everyone here would be pissed at the cager for coming over on you...and rightfully so.

Not coming down on you, 'cuz everyone makes mistakes and at least this one didn't hurt anyone. I am also glad that there was no escalation of the confrontation beyond words.
Thanks.
Was biting my tongue.
You have a very diplomatic way of stating things.

And. What the hell does the statement "I ride too." mean?
Nothing.
sardonicus87 likes this.

You`ve been
Thunder⚡️Struck
ATW TWF/FTW

R.E.D. :
♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️ ♦️

People are why I love Dogs and my Harley.
💔In Loving Memory💔
❣️Thor❣️
🐾No longer by my side. Forever in my heart.🐾
09-08-17
🖤Bear, Brute, Jessie, Billy, Aiyana🖤

ROLO
04-03-14 > 07-27-16
Ed
11-20-17
Bee

No such thing as just a Dog.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:06 AM
JLR

Crotch rockets accelerate quick and most of the ones I encounter are speeding. It is very hard to gauge their speed, especially if they are accelerating. I wasn't there and neither were either of you, so I'm not going to be self righteous and blame debo.

Jim

2007 FLHTCUSE2
S.E. 10.5:1 pistons, S.E. 251 cams, S.E. pro tuner
Big Sucker ll, Rinehart True Duals

1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee - sold after 40 great years together

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:16 AM
weird member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred8er View Post

As far as I know, all merging in the US is like this. Nobody in any travel lane has to allow anyone over, even people coming from on ramps (emergency vehicles except when lights and/or sirens), even if it is common courtesy to slow up and "zipper merge". It is always the one doing the merging that is supposed to do so safely and the responsibility is on them, legally speaking.

Which means: look, look twice and look again. Unfortunately, taking so much time to be absolutely sure it is clear and safe means you could get stuck where you are for a while.

Reminds me of 4-way stop rules. Nobody legally has the right-of-way; right-of-way is always yielded at a 4-way. So if someone fails to yield according to the rules, and you punch it anyway when it was supposed to be your turn and you hit them, you could be at fault. Whoever moves first technically has the right-of-way the minute they start moving, even if they took it off turn.

Kyle
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [the red one]
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) [RIP 6 Nov, 2018]

You've got to play the hand that you're dealt, and sometimes life deals you a losing hand, well then you're a loser, and you have to deal with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode